Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Plotter recommendation for Mac OSX

David Maudlin
Virtuoso
ArchiCAD Talkers:

My HP 650C plotter has finally made its last plot and I need to get a replacement. My requirements are black and white (I don't need the color), 24" wide roll feed and automatic sheet cutter, and compatibility with Mac OS10.6.8. This will be a light duty operation, I only run a few sets a few times a month, and plotting speed is not critical. I would appreciate any recommendations and insights into plotters that users have acquired in the last few years, both machines to consider and machines to avoid.

Thanks for your input.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
16 REPLIES 16
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi
Have you considered NOT having an A1 plotter - I do everything at A3 even when final sheet size is A1. Builders etc download and do their own plots. If I really need an A1 set (even authorities prefer A3 and only ask for 1 x A1 so I email to a printer and pick up the prints.) Even multi sets of A3s are done this way as I only usually need to do check prints myself.
Even other architects offices will charge me 'mates rates'

I find it very cost effective as bureau prints are so cheap compared to buying ink replacement etc
Stress Co_
Advisor
David:
I'd look at the HP DesignJet 111.

I believe it is the replacement to the HP DesignJet 110+ (which I have and which meets my needs OK. It's slow but cheap).

One thing I read: "You can add a roll attachment to the model that has paper trays, but they don't offer paper trays for the model that comes with just the roll attachment."

You'll want both the roll and the tray.
Marc Corney, Architect
Red Canoe Architecture, P. A.

Mac OS 10.15.7 (Catalina) //// Mac OS 14.2.1 (Sonoma)
Processor: 3.6 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9 //// Apple M2 Max
Memory: 48 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 //// 32 GB
Graphics: Radeon Pro 580X 8GB //// 12C CPU, 30C GPU
ArchiCAD 25 (5010 USA Full) //// ArchiCAD 27 (4030 USA Full)
Anonymous
Not applicable
I had an old HP450 plotter that I used for many years, but it was slow and now I email pdfs to everyone and have the blue printer just deliver the full size prints when I need them
(cost is reimbursable).

I bought a remanufactured HP 5000tn laser printer for about $360 and it will print 12"x18" and couldn't be more pleased.

Because my standard sheet is 24x36 the 12x18 is exactly half scale. Great for fast and easy check prints and they are so sharp I can read all the detail and scale things if I need to.

The only problem is that the old HP software won't allow my iMac to feed from the large tray, so I have to stack the fold out tray with 12x18 sheets when I print. Not a big inconvenience.

It's quiet, very fast and very sharp and no more ink cartridges! And it saves a lot of paper...........
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
Marc Corney:

Thanks for the recommendation (and the advice about the roll attachment and trays), I was very happy with my current HP, so am glad to read that the current model is fine. My old plotter was also slow, but much faster than sending files to a plotting service then getting delivery back ($) or going to pick up the plots myself.

Harry Monaghan and Don Lee:

I did not have a plotter when I started my practice and used a plotting service (actually a reproduction service since I started with pencil on vellum then went to plotting when I got started with ArchiCAD), so I have had experience going that route. I need full size (min 18" x 24") sets for meetings and permit submissions, and have found I need fewer check sets as I have become proficient at checking pdf files on screen. In my current location it takes a minimum of 2-3 hours to get sets back from a service, and they charge extra for delivery, vs. the 15 - 30 minutes to run off sets in house, particularly when on deadline. Since I bill clients at the same plot rate as a service, the plotter has been a small profit center for me, so I expect to get the cost of the machine back in a few years. If I was within walking distance of a service then the equation would be different. Thanks for your comments, but an in house plotter has advantages in my situation.

ArchiCAD Talkers:

Any other plotter recommendations, pro and con, are appreciated.

David
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Stress Co_
Advisor
Brand new replacement to the DesignJet111

DesignJet T120

No pricing or availability.

Data Sheet
Marc Corney, Architect
Red Canoe Architecture, P. A.

Mac OS 10.15.7 (Catalina) //// Mac OS 14.2.1 (Sonoma)
Processor: 3.6 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9 //// Apple M2 Max
Memory: 48 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 //// 32 GB
Graphics: Radeon Pro 580X 8GB //// 12C CPU, 30C GPU
ArchiCAD 25 (5010 USA Full) //// ArchiCAD 27 (4030 USA Full)
vistasp
Advisor
Cadalyst posted two articles yesterday for three plotters each from Epson and HP
= v i s t a s p =
bT Square Peg
https://archicadstuff.blogspot.com
https://www.btsquarepeg.com
| AC 9-27 INT | Win11 | Ryzen 5700 | 32 GB | RTX 3050 |
Anonymous
Not applicable
I have a canon Ipf605 and I'm very happy with it.
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
Marc and vistasp:

Thanks for the links.

Jose Gemez:

What is your operating system?

Thanks,

David
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
Anonymous
Not applicable
Mountain lion in a hackintosh, MacBook Pro and a iMac, the driver of canon are good and never I have problem with the ipf