Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Polygon Degenerated Error message in 3D

Anonymous
Not applicable
When working in 3D or when working on an elevation when the walls are turned on, I sometimes get the following message...

"polygon is degenerated at line 278 in the 3D script of file wa_frame_us_10.gsm"

I have had this happen before when a door height gets accidentally set to zero or something similar to that. In this particular case, I cannot find what is causing the problem. Is there a way to find out what is causing this?
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable
Doing a little research, it seems that there is not definite way to figure out what is the problem, just through the process of elimination. There should be a way to jump to the error or the element that is causing the error. This would save many people a lot of time...
Karl Ottenstein
Steven wrote:
Doing a little research, it seems that there is not definite way to figure out what is the problem, just through the process of elimination. There should be a way to jump to the error or the element that is causing the error. This would save many people a lot of time...
Actually, the solution is for Graphisoft to produce library parts that work - then nobody will see this and other errors. The problem is that many Graphisoft library parts do not do sufficient error-checking and consistency-checking on their parameters, allowing the entry of values (as you've seen in the past) that cause the part to bomb out.

I would much prefer seeing proper quality control for library releases to better tools for tacking down errors which are not really caused by the user. 😉

Cheers,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
But that would make more work for Graphisoft! We wouldn't want that...
Anonymous
Not applicable
Steven wrote:
There should be a way to jump to the error or the element that is causing the error. This would save many people a lot of time...
You are absolutely right! Even half-by-half elimination process takes 5-10 min, and it can take more, if there are more than one spoiled element...
Karl Ottenstein
I've copied the posts that digressed into that state of GDL into a new thread in the GDL/libraries forum where they belong and have pruned this thread back to its original user-centric issue: what does the 'polygon degenerated' message mean, and how can a user figure out how to fix it or get around it.

The digressed thread is related to GDL development and is now here:
http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=27548

Cheers,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB