Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Problem exporting 3ds / fbx to 3ds Max

AndreasB
Contributor
I am currently trying to export a model from ArchiCAD, using the .3ds and .fbx formats.

Usually I use .3ds, because it works well using the correct settings. (1000mm, split by surfaces)

In the past, I have been experiencing geometry problems if the model is situated far from the project origin - I could fix this in 3ds max by grouping the whole model and sending it to zero point. I think this is because Max can't properly calculate vertex positions in relation to each other if they are too far from the zero point.

This time, using the .3ds format, the model comes into 3Ds Max right next to the zero point and is the correct size, but I am still getting extreme geometry problems. It looks like this, similar to flickering when two surfaces are on top of each other, only going through the whole model;

This isn't just a display problem either; using viewport clipping in 3ds max solves the flickering, but reveals that the geometry itself is almost completely destroyed;

The .fbx format won't export from ArchiCAD at all unless I only export part of the model - when it does work, it produces a similar problem as .3ds.

Any idea what could be the issue here?
14 REPLIES 14
Lingwisyer
Guru
Your images are not displaying for me on the forum but their links work. Is this only happening with furniture? Is the furniture native to AC or imported from some other format?

Ling.

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660 
Anonymous
Not applicable
Andreas,
You mentioned far from origin, this will cause the problems you experienced in Archicad and also other BIM software, you should locate your project as close to the project origin as practical

Scott
AndreasB
Contributor
Thanks for the replies!

Ling, I'm not sure if the furniture was imported to ArchiCAD, but the problem is not limited to the furniture.

Scott, I'm aware of this issue, but the project is actually right next to the project origin in ArchiCAD.

Tried importing into Skethup, same problem:

https://www.photobox.co.uk/my/photo/full?photo_id=501766892839

Sorry, don't know why the pictures aren't showing up.
Lingwisyer
Guru
AndreasB wrote:
Sorry, don't know why the pictures aren't showing up.

Your newest image just links to the hosting website...

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660 
AndreasB
Contributor
Sorry, it's just an image showing the same issue happening in Sketchup.

Starting to wonder if the problem might be a camera or lights being imported really far from the model. Trying to find out how I can avoid those being exported from ArchiCAD.
Barry Kelly
AndreasB,
You are not having much luck attaching your images.

The instructions can be found here ...

https://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=59187

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
AndreasB
Contributor
Thank you. I'm hopeless, can't seem to edit my posts either.

In any case, here are the images. The first two are from 3ds Max, while the third shows the same problem in Sketchup. The geometry "floats" around while navigating the model.

Seems like the problem is that the model somehow won't stay at the project origin after saving - we have contacted Graphisoft support to solve the issue.
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
Maybe you have a custom user origin that you are confusing for the actual project origin?
Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
Anonymous
Not applicable
I've had similar problems with large/complex models, which I assume your project is, especially with all the furniture.

Such models with office furniture can easily contain milions of polygons which in my case tend to mess up the .3ds output, even when the whole building is right at the project origin.

I checked one of my recent projects and it has 4,7 mil. polygons - out of which is 4,5 mil. standard archicad furniture... And that's one of the simpler projects.

So far I haven't figured out if I'm doing something wrong with my .3ds export like you, but in the meantime I export to ".obj" format which gives much better results when importing to 3ds max.