Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.
SOLVED!

Problem updating ARCHICAD 21 on Mac OS 10.15 Catalina

Eric Bobrow
Enthusiast
I use multiple versions of ARCHICAD so I can train and support users on all recent versions.

When I start up ARCHICAD 21 on my new MacBook Pro (purchased in March), it says that it is out of date, and suggests that I download a hotfix. However when I try to install the hotfix, Apple blocks it because the Java applet is not from a known developer. It doesn't allow me to override or overrule this within System Preferences.

I know that Graphisoft states they are no longer supporting AC21, however this is a hotfix that was issued that apparently didn't get passed along when I migrated from my 2017 MacBook Pro.

Is there a way to work around this issue? I'd like to make sure I've got all of my versions of ARCHICAD up to date.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hi Eric,

Thank you for your question and I am very sorry about the issue!

Since your Macbook is relatively new, I believe it is running on Catalina? If that is the case, Apple made it especially hard for users to run applications from unknown/unidentified developers. Please follow the guide in this link: https://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/mac-software/mac-app-unidentified-developer-3669596/ and let us know if it helps to run the installation on Catalina!

Best regards,
Minh

P/s: As you have already known, AC21 is not supported on Catalina. Even after installing the hotfixes, there might still be some bugs/crashes happen. I am very sorry for the inconvenience!

Minh Nguyen
Technical Support Engineer
GRAPHISOFT

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Barry Kelly
Sorry I am not a MAC user so don't have an answer for you.
This is just to let you know I have moved your post to the 'Installation' section - just in case you are looking for it and can't find it.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Eric Bobrow
Enthusiast
Thanks Barry for letting me know where this question has been filed, much appreciated.
Solution
Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hi Eric,

Thank you for your question and I am very sorry about the issue!

Since your Macbook is relatively new, I believe it is running on Catalina? If that is the case, Apple made it especially hard for users to run applications from unknown/unidentified developers. Please follow the guide in this link: https://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/mac-software/mac-app-unidentified-developer-3669596/ and let us know if it helps to run the installation on Catalina!

Best regards,
Minh

P/s: As you have already known, AC21 is not supported on Catalina. Even after installing the hotfixes, there might still be some bugs/crashes happen. I am very sorry for the inconvenience!

Minh Nguyen
GRAPHISOFT

Eric Bobrow
Enthusiast
Minh - Thank you for passing along the reference to the MacWorld article. The Terminal command allowed me to change the security setting so now I can update ARCHICAD 21 on my MacBook Pro running Catalina. That is a relief! Much appreciated.
Eric
Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hi Eric,

Thank you for the confirmation! Glad I could help!

Have a great day!

Best regards,
Minh

Minh Nguyen
GRAPHISOFT