Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Project North. Resetting direction+Altitude setting CRITICAL

Anonymous
Not applicable
I am having a major problem with the Project North point.

I have one Archicad 18 open. I open project 1 and set the north point. Close project 1 and open Project 2 and the north point has changed to match project 1's north point. Reset project 2's north point save and close. open project 1 and the north point has changed to match project 2 north point.

See attached image.
Project 1 correct
open Project 2 north incorrect, matches project 1
correct project 2 North
open Project 1 north incorrect, matches project 2

Anyone else having this problem? I almost published a set of drawings with this error but spotted it just before and changed it. Have been testing and find it is happening everytime i open a file.
Do we just need to go back to setting the north symbol manually?
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable
I have tried A new and reset and created two new files with just a north point set to follow project north. Switching between those two files the project north does not have the error.
When i open one of the other projects I am working on the North point changes and also the project location Altitude level changes.

The Altitude change is even more critical then the North point error as we use this to set the building level and it cannot randomly change.
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
I have checked this but could not reproduce this problem. It works fine for me both in AC18 and AC19.
The Project North direction is a Project settings, it is stored within each individual project.

Actually, I am a bit confused about what you write because you are talking about Project North point. There is no such thing, there is only a Project North direction. You can use the Options\Project Preferences\Set Project North menu command to set the direction of the Project North.
After you set it you can go to the Options\Project Preferences\Project Location Dialog and there you will see that Project North value you set. Is this what you are doing? Is this where you see that the Project North value is not preserved when you switch from one file to the other?
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Erika Epstein
Booster
By any chance are you using the Australian library and is the north arrow you are using part of it? If so you should contact its developer and see if they can be of help.
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Anonymous
Not applicable
Yes that is what I am doing. I open the project location, set the altitude and the project north. Then I save the file. When I open the next file the project location settings will have changed to match previous file.

I can also set a model view option and have it appear in the second file I open.

This seems to be happening only with 4or5 of my pln files. If I do a new and reset and create two new plan I can open them and the project location and mvo settings do not transfer over. But if I then open one of the offending files it will import the settings from a the newly created pln file.

I have tested on 4 separate machines.
Erika Epstein
Booster
Russell, It's time for you to talk with Graphisoft tech support.
Erika
Architect, Consultant
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have had technician from Graphisoft in office. We were able to reproduce the error and it was something he has not seen before. Only solution at this stage is to completely close ARCHICAD then open next file with a new instance of ARCHICAD. Pretty clunky solution that is prone to errors but I am going to send him copies of the offending files for further examination.

Dropbox link is a stripped down 18pln file. Started as new from template then i have stripped everything out of it. This file will pick up the project location settings and MVO settings from the previous file.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/nkc5xzbcdhjp9k1/18%20test%20file%20north%20mvo.zip?dl=0
Erika Epstein
Booster
Let us know what they find.
Erika
Architect, Consultant
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System