Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Project file duplicates

Anonymous
Not applicable
Whenever I save, the project doesn't rewrite itself but makes a dublicate. This behaviour started on my computer since version 21, as far as I remember.
This screenshot describes what I mean: Maybe I need to change something in settings?

My archicad version is 22, the system macOS Mojave 10.14.1
13 REPLIES 13
Robby
Booster
I have had similar problem.
Specifically, AC 22 seems to create backup .pln files instead of .bpn file.

For example, if I start working on a document called say "Project.pln", AC should be backing up to "Project.bpn". Instead I will get a second file called "Project 1.pln". Occasionally, will also get multiple copies: "Project 2 .pln", "Project 3.pln, etc.

I typically throw these out and eventually AC will create the correct "Project.bpn" file.
Rob Marelli-
AC 26 & 27
MacBook Pro (2021) M1 Max -32 Gb RAM - Sonoma 14
Daniel Kovacs
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hello,

Is it possible that you are saving these files to folders that are synced to a cloud service?

When You click save in ARCHICAD here's what actually happens (kind of):
  • ARCHICAD saved a scratch file with some random name (e.g. hnuda873uhe3z7uz6.scr)
  • your current bpn is deleted (e.g. project.bpn is deleted)
  • your pln is renamed to bpn (e.g. project.pln to project.bpn)
  • your scratch file is turned into the new pln with the same name (project.pln)
Maybe when this happens, your sync service sees that the new file has the same name, but it is not the exact same file, so to keep things safe, it syncs the previous version back to your computer with a new index? (e.g. it downloads the previous versions as project 1.pln and project 1.bpn - or it renames the new ones to keep the old ones with the previous names)

I am just spitballing here, but I think this could be a valid reason... (considering what happens when ARCHICAD saves)

Regards,
Daniel Alexander Kovacs

Professional Services Consultant

GRAPHISOFT

For Troubleshooting and useful Tips & Tricks visit
Robby
Booster
Daniel, yes..... I am in fact saving to cloud, so makes perfect sense what you are saying. I shall try and verify. Thanks!
Rob Marelli-
AC 26 & 27
MacBook Pro (2021) M1 Max -32 Gb RAM - Sonoma 14
Anonymous
Not applicable
dkovacs wrote:
Hello,

Is it possible that you are saving these files to folders that are synced to a cloud service?

When You click save in ARCHICAD here's what actually happens (kind of):
  • ARCHICAD saved a scratch file with some random name (e.g. hnuda873uhe3z7uz6.scr)
  • your current bpn is deleted (e.g. project.bpn is deleted)
  • your pln is renamed to bpn (e.g. project.pln to project.bpn)
  • your scratch file is turned into the new pln with the same name (project.pln)
Maybe when this happens, your sync service sees that the new file has the same name, but it is not the exact same file, so to keep things safe, it syncs the previous version back to your computer with a new index? (e.g. it downloads the previous versions as project 1.pln and project 1.bpn - or it renames the new ones to keep the old ones with the previous names)

I am just spitballing here, but I think this could be a valid reason... (considering what happens when ARCHICAD saves)

Regards,
Yes! I am saving to a cloud folder. That explains everything, thank you.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Yes, Thank you. The same is happening to me. The Archicad files are on the desktop which is backed up on the iCloud.
Eduardo Rolon
Looks like iCloud has problem with big files that change constantly, dropbox doesn't have this problem but it is not recommended for other stupid reasons, testing Onedrive to see how it behaves. Hoping that the update to iCloud scheduled for this fall fixes the problem.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

Daniel Kovacs
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hey ejrolon,

Thanks for spending time with this. We have also been testing it and so far we could only reproduce this with iCloud. If you (or anyone else) find out about other cloud/sync services causing issues like this, I appreciate you letting us know about it!

Thanks,
Daniel Alexander Kovacs

Professional Services Consultant

GRAPHISOFT

For Troubleshooting and useful Tips & Tricks visit
Eduardo Rolon
OneDrive is behaving for now.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

I share a lot of projects using shared folders in Dropbox. So far, so good. Everyone and then we get the file appended with "...conflited copy," but that's few and far between.
Rex Maximilian, Honolulu, USA - www.rexmaximilian.com
ArchiCAD 27 (user since 3.4, 1991)
16" MacBook Pro; M1 Max (2021), 32GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, 32-Core GPU
Apple Vision Pro w/ BIMx
Creator of the Maximilian ArchiCAD Template System