BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Quad & 8 Core + snow leopard = all fonts disappearing

Robert Fuchs
Booster
We purchased some new Quad and 8 Core Mac Pros running snow leopard. When we open any file in AC 12 with these computers all of our fonts disappear. If you zoom in and out some times you will zoom to a level that some fonts show up. We us Helvetica and Mr Hand fonts for our documents. I can do a select all on the fonts and switch them to a different font and they will show up for a little while then all of a sudden they are gone. This happens to all fonts. text, dimension text, library parts, section markers, detail markers, everything. I had one of the guys check his personal imac 24" running SL and it does not have these problems but it is a dual core. We also have a 27" imac quad core with SL and it also has the fonts issues. GS tech told me that it could be a font issue when going from windows to mac but that is not the case here. I asked them if they had this problem on any of their multi core macs and they said they did not have a quad core or 8 core to test it on. I sure hope they are testing AC on multi core mac hiring than dual cores. I could not find anyone under the search who is having the same problem so I just don't understand what is going on. If I could I would like to email someone (using quad core to 8 cores on a mac) one of our files that don't work and let them see if they have the same problem. Maybe its my template file? We have AC13 but have not started to use it yet so I have not done any testing to see if it does the same thing. I would appreciate any help because we can not purchase the older OS to downgrade so we are stuck. This is killing out productivity not to mention not having and text on our sets does not go over very well.

Thanks,
Robert Fuchs
Miller Bosksus Lack Architects, P.A.
2x2.26GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon w/10 GB RAM
Mac OSX 10.6.4, AC 14 (3004 USA Full)
1 REPLY 1
Robert Fuchs
Booster
I have figured out what was causing the font problems. Snow Leopard uses new system fonts. I did target installs from our old G5 computers to the new mac pros. Apparently the user installed fonts were conflicting with the new system installed fonts. I removed all user installed fonts. Then I set the font book to only install new fonts on the computer system folder and not the user system folder. Then all was well. FYI SL can install windows .ttf (true type fonts) in the system now. I lost about 12 hours figuring this one out.
Robert Fuchs
Miller Bosksus Lack Architects, P.A.
2x2.26GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon w/10 GB RAM
Mac OSX 10.6.4, AC 14 (3004 USA Full)
Learn and get certified!