Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Re: Question: Graphic Cards

Miha_M
Advisor
[Moderator: the original post of the thread was deleted because the poster was spamming.]

I don't think the GPU is being used for rendering in Archicad. For rendering alone you'd be better served with a high clocked CPU with as many cores as you can get.

https://helpcenter.graphisoft.com/knowledgebase/25850/

| Archicad 4.55 - 27
| HP Z840 | 2× E5-2643 v4 | 64 GB RAM | Quadro M5000 | Windows 10 Pro x64
| HP Z4 G4 | W-2245 | 64 GB RAM | RTX A4000 | Windows 11

7 REPLIES 7
Lingwisyer
Guru
ArchiCAD is probably not very suitable for VFX work... Are you exporting to Max? Ask on the forums of what ever rendering software you are using?

Does your uni have a server farm or access to one that you can get access to? This won't help if you are just using AC, but if you are using some external rendering engine, quite a few support it.

Ling

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660 
Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm also a first time poster and have a question regarding graphic cards. I thougt it might be a better idea to use this existing post rather than opening a new one regarding the same topic?

I'd like to recommend a new Laptop to my wife, she wants to use it for Archicad 24 in the near future. The budget is up to 2000€ and in this area I couldn't find many models with NVIDIA Quadro cards, just some with P2000/T2000 and P3200. Many of the Laptops with better graphic cards include Geforce GTX and RTX cards.
Question: Should I prefer Quadro P2000 or Quadro P3200 cards or can anyone recommend using RTX 2060 Mobile, RTX 2070 Super Max Q or RTX 3000 cards (all mobile cards within Laptops!).

Edit: The RTX 3000 is also a Quadro card not a Geforce, but question remains.

Thanks for any feedback,
Andreas
Miha_M
Advisor
Andreas, you can see the performance of different graphic card on Archicad 24 here:
https://helpcenter.graphisoft.com/knowledgebase/127710/

I hope this will help you decide what the better option is. Keep in mind that it's not the GPU alone which makes the difference, but the CPU/GPU combination.

| Archicad 4.55 - 27

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you for your feedback Miha, this performance comparison is where I come from. Unfortunatly none of the named cards are included in this comparison. It would be really worthfull to know, if the Geforce RTX cards (2060, 2070) have certfied drivers for Grafisoft and/or are useful for a great number of polygons.
Thanks, Andreas
Jp1138
Expert
In my personal experience, Quadro cards are not worth its cost. It´s better to get the fastest "game" card you can afford.
ARCHICAD 27 SPA
Windows 10
Miha_M
Advisor
I use a Quadro P1000 in one and K4000 in another workstation. I have not seen any certified drivers for Graphisoft. Ever. Both of this GPUs do their job well, I haven't had any problems whatsoever. A friend in my shared office space has a gaming GPU, I think it's a GeForce 1060 GTX. This one also works without any problems.

Either way, I think the GPU alone, as long as it's a better gaming or midrange quadro, will do the job. Archicad doesn't use the GPU's calculating power much, it's more a CPU dependent software and even here it's still developing it's multi-core CPU usage. I've said it before - I use an old HP Z800 dual xeon workstation for long years and it still works. The only thing I had to update was the GPU, as since v.22 the 2D graphics acceleration works better with cuda powered GPU.

| Archicad 4.55 - 27

Anonymous
Not applicable
@JP1138 and @Micha, thank you very much for your answers. I will as well pay attention to the CPU (most of the modells in scope have i7 6 core CPUs of 9th or 10th generation and most probably a Geforce RTX 2060 Mobile - to stay within budget 🙂
Greetings from North/West Germany,
Andreas