Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Manager!

Licensing
About all sorts of licenses, their management, Graphisoft ID, Graphisoft Store, License Manager Tool, etc.

Reauthentication Strikes again... in just months!

I'm starting a new thread here because:

a) this is a new instance of this occurrence, and
b) there has been "no" resolution or explanation from Graphisoft on the original thread as to why perpetual license owners are subject to having our software relegated to demo mode within 30 days; again, for a software we PAID for outright. 

By my count, the first instance of this reauthentication mandate appeared only 3 1/2 months ago (November 20, 2022). Why is it again appearing so soon, and threatening to relegate my perpetual license to demo mode if I don't comply within 30 days?

It's not far-fetched to assume that if we don't resolve this soon, on a client to company level, I have no doubt, they will simply move to a business model of rendering perpetual licenses null and void, and for associated GSIDs to have annual SSAs attached to “authenticate” and run ArchiCAD — they want a forced revenue stream from us, and ending perpetual licenses, even those that are currently perpetual, by moving to a subscription or SSA based only model.

This, is "unacceptable." I will be creating a tech support case on this issue to officially go on the record; and to hopefully get an official statement as to it either being an oversight they will fix, or if they indeed will render the software useless if we don't reauthenticate with them every few months.

Screenshot 2023-03-06 at 4.53.02 PM.jpg

Rex Maximilian, Honolulu, USA - www.rexmaximilian.com
ArchiCAD 27 (user since 3.4, 1991)
16" MacBook Pro; M1 Max (2021), 32GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, 32-Core GPU
Apple Vision Pro w/ BIMx
Creator of the Maximilian ArchiCAD Template System
18 REPLIES 18
jl_lt
Ace

Hi Rex, i havent encountered this (yet) but please let us know if You get a response.  

laembert
Contributor

Let's pray for BlenderBIM. 

mthd
Mentor

As a Chief Architect user since 1999, I have seen an SSA system (Software Support & Assurance, as they call it) a similar system to Archicad was introduced years ago but recently the CA/SSA model has stopped for new users wanting to use Chief Architect. They now have a yearly subscription fee of $1995 USD per year with no more perpetual licenses being offered.

I currently own version X10 and they are now at version X15. We had a couple of months to upgrade our software to the latest version and keep paying SSA to keep our perpetual licenses. I opted out because I prefer to use Archicad for my business model here in Australia. I would be quite upset if Archicad went down the same path to a yearly fee system, like Chief Architect use with no more perpetual licenses being offered. I hope they don’t do that to us ? 

I am saving my pennies to get the latest version of Archicad and to re activate SSA after a period of being inactive for health reasons.

I hope Graphisoft don’t follow the Autodesk business model either. I hope they are much wiser than they are. Sure you can rent Archicad out for a fee but you should also be able to have a perpetual license if you choose to own one.

AC8.1 - AC27 ARM AUS + CI Tools
Apple Mac Studio M1 Max Chip 10C CPU
24C GPU 7.8TF 32GB RAM OS Ventura

We are all hoping the same @mthd.  at least we are

I just did a quick calculation of monies paid to Graphisoft over the time of obtaining ArchiCAD in the early-90's and subsequent upgrades and SSA payment for 30 years.

The total is, give or take a few hundred, $25,000 for the one license.

Imagine after having paid to "own" the software license, to get a message from them that; if you don't do what they want you to do when they want you to do it, they will hold your full-working license ransom.

I don't mean to stir the pot, as my main goal is to bring attention to this so that it is corrected. But it's a bit puzzling that there isn't more resistance to this... That they can render your paid software inactive.

Apple Vision Pro w/ BIMx

Does the software actually become inactive?

Or is it you can just no longer access extra SSA/Forward features such as additional surface material library, etc.

I honestly don't know the answer to that, but I suspect (and hope) it is just the 'extra' access you will lose.

After all, you can turn of the internet connection and Archicad will still run.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
mthd
Mentor

25K ! Unfortunately we earlier users pay a big chunk for the development of the software. So you in effect become an investor in the software development and they shouldn’t be able to take your investment away from you and make it null & void like other CAD companies have done recently.

Nor should they force you to upgrade when you simply cannot afford to because of retirement or health issues etc. I am not happy with my other CAD companies dealings.

I hope Graphisoft keep perpetual licensing and keep it open for us to upgrade when ever we can afford to. Software upgrades should only be one step no matter how old it gets particularly for us who were with GS for decades. A 3 step upgrade will cost you more than a new license these days, isn’t that just crazy ?

AC8.1 - AC27 ARM AUS + CI Tools
Apple Mac Studio M1 Max Chip 10C CPU
24C GPU 7.8TF 32GB RAM OS Ventura

I believe it was confirmed in the original posting late last year that it would run in demo mode. I need to re-confirm that.

It would be nice to get actual feedback from GS on this.

Apple Vision Pro w/ BIMx

This was posted in the first discussion:
https://community.graphisoft.com/t5/Setup-License-forum/GS-ID-Authentication/m-p/362838/highlight/tr...

He confirm it reverted to demo mode.

Apple Vision Pro w/ BIMx

Didn't find the answer?

Check other topics in this Forum

Back to Forum

Read the latest accepted solutions!

Accepted Solutions

Start a new conversation!