BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

!Restored: Drag and Drag-a-copy bug

Anonymous
Not applicable
Sometimes when the Drag shortcut is used elements Drag-a-copy instead. This bug has been around since Version 9 and was identified in 9. Is this ever going to be fixed as it can cause duplication of elements, sometimes without the knowledge of the operator until several steps have been made and it is to late to go back?
27 REPLIES 27
TomWaltz
Participant
That's not a bug, it's intentional. If you press Option after you start a drag command, it becomes drag a copy. Your cursor changes to have a + sign on it so you can tell the difference.
Tom Waltz
Anonymous
Not applicable
TomWaltz wrote:
That's not a bug, it's intentional. If you press Option after you start a drag command, it becomes drag a copy. Your cursor changes to have a + sign on it so you can tell the difference.
No, thats not what i said, i know you can press ctrl again to drag a copy. It drags a copy only when i press ctrl+d, not any additional keys!
__archiben
Booster
Mark wrote:
No, thats not what i said, i know you can press ctrl again to drag a copy. It drags a copy only when i press ctrl+d, not any additional keys!
i think you might either be accidentally touching the ALT key at the same time or you're dropping the user-origin mid-edit (ALT+SHIFT) which has the same affect as toggling the '-a-copy' bit. try SHIFT+ALT instead . . . or is that not the case on a pc?

~/archiben
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup
Anonymous
Not applicable
~/archiben wrote:
i think you might either be accidentally touching the ALT key at the same time or you're dropping the user-origin mid-edit (ALT+SHIFT) which has the same affect as toggling the '-a-copy' bit. try SHIFT+ALT instead . . . or is that not the case on a pc?

~/archiben
I have thought i was doing this also. But i am 95% sure this is not the case. Other people in the office have the same problem so unless we are all doing it? I have figured out that it typically happens when the computer is slowing down (ie working hard). Is anyone else having this problem? It might only be happening to PC users?
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
Is anyone else having this problem? It might only be happening to PC users?
Not here.

Are you sure you are not invoking another command using the ctrl key? If you drag, then hit say ctrl+' to Fit in Window, the ctrl will also be included in the drag sequence, (inadvertently?) making a copy. Then of course, since it's a toggle, you can hit ctrl again to lose the copy.

Cheers,
Link.
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Me and my collague in our office also noticed this in AC9.
Basically you press CTRL-D and sometimes for some strange reason the little + sign appears in the cursor shape, and a Drag-a-Copy operation will be performed.
This happened so many times that we started taking extra care not to touch anything else on the keyboard when doing this. Still, it was happening.
I do not know the reason. I just know I was almost going nuts over it, thinking that I am crazy or that I touched something on the keyboard without perceiving it that I did it.
But my collegue also experienced the same behaviour many times.
Weird stuff.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
TomWaltz
Participant
it could be a Mac/PC thing, here's why:

On Apple, you use the Command Key (Apple key) to issue keyboard commands. Pressing control after a CMD-D will made Drag into Drag a Copy.

On a PC, you are pressing the CTRL key to ussie keyboard commands. I bet if you lag just a little bit, holding down control just an instant too long when pressing ctrl-D, Archicad reads that as another press of ctrl and thinks you want to copy....
Tom Waltz
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Could be the cause.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Stephen Dolbee
Booster
Happens with me also. In 9 and 10.
AC19(9001), 27" iMac i7, 12 gb ram, ATI Radeon HD 4850 512mb, OS 10.12.6