BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

!Restored: How to make curved slab?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi everyone, I'm very new to ArchiCad and I have just downloaded it. I have no experience at all in Archicad, so pardon me for my slow learning.

Please let me know how to curve a flat slab. I've google it but I've got no result. Then I come across this forum, hoping to get the answer.

Archicad is fun, but I've no idea how to play with it.
3 REPLIES 3
Dwight
Newcomer
Start with the Getting Started document under the Help Menu.

You'll see how, by hovering the cursor over an edge of a high-lighted [selected] slab drawn as a rectangle, a palette is displayed where the slab can be edited - one choice is an arc. Picking this option will allow you to pull the straight edge into a curve.

But you can't arch a slab since it is constrained to operate laterally only.
Dwight Atkinson
Dwight
Newcomer
Sorry: Reference Guide....
Dwight Atkinson
mki88 wrote:
Hi everyone, I'm very new to ArchiCad and I have just downloaded it. I have no experience at all in Archicad, so pardon me for my slow learning.

Please let me know how to curve a flat slab. I've google it but I've got no result. Then I come across this forum, hoping to get the answer.

Archicad is fun, but I've no idea how to play with it.
It depends on what you mean when you say you want to curve it - or rather curve it on which axis or plane. Curving a slab on the XY plane or the plane along which it lies is just a function of what you do to its edges or its overall shape, looked at from above - as Dwight described above.

Curving it on the z axis is another question altogether and is strictly speaking not possible because of what defines a slab in ArchiCAD's GDL language ( in other words, you may be able to do it with an add-on like Maxonform, but it will no longer read as a slab, for documentation and operational purposes.)

Your best bet then would be either to use the complex profile manager with a wall tool ( assuming your using ArchiCAD 10 or 11) or ( if you're using AC9 or below) to create a new object by drawing your desired curved slab on its side using either the slab tool or the wall tool and then saving that resulting geometry as a new 3D object that lies the correct way up when you load it. Of course like I said before it will not read as a slab then but as a static object.
Learn and get certified!