BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

!Restored: QED

Anonymous
Not applicable
QED, SOS, Mayday, mayday...

I am a l-o-n-g time user of AutoCAD (like since the early 90's) entering the new world of ArchiCAD. "Playing" with ArchiCAD, I am finding that the program has many advantages over AutoCAD, but am in a bit of a pickle, so to speak.

Is there a book out there somewhere for AutoCAD users that gives the command structure of ArchiCAD in a straight foward manner an AutoCAD user can understand?

Thanks
DOremus
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable
If you were using AutoCAD to draw lines and arcs that represent walls and other objects i am afraid that you must change the way you think/work
In AC you don't draw, you build.
I believe it's quite easy to learn the basic of AC
Even my brother know how to make a house with AC and he is not an engineer
TomWaltz
Participant
doremus wrote:
QED, SOS, Mayday, mayday...

I am a l-o-n-g time user of AutoCAD (like since the early 90's) entering the new world of ArchiCAD. "Playing" with ArchiCAD, I am finding that the program has many advantages over AutoCAD, but am in a bit of a pickle, so to speak.

Is there a book out there somewhere for AutoCAD users that gives the command structure of ArchiCAD in a straight foward manner an AutoCAD user can understand?

Thanks
DOremus
There is an "Archicad for AutoCAD Users" book, but it is two versions out of date, and a lot has changed since then.
Tom Waltz
Djordje
Ace
Try to find an ArchiCAD user group in your area - the local reseller might be able to help. Nothing like a shoulder to cry on when you start!

Another book that is extremely helpful, but also a version or two out of date, is Project Framework. It outlines the basic setup of a project.

Be SURE to go through the tutorial; it explains A LOT - however, nothing like live chat in front of the screen.

Good luck!
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Anonymous
Not applicable
Read this .
It helped me alot when i first put hands on archicad.
In fact i could work right away after reading it
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for the help and advise. Found and ordered ArchiCAD for AutoCAD Users, and it should arrive (hopefully?) in tomorrows mails, and should help clear up some of those bad AutoCAD habits that I have practiced for too many years!
I think my main problem with understanding ArchiCAD is forgetting the "chain of command order" for AutoCAD and establishing ArchiCAD's "chain of command order" (I hope that makes since).
While AutoCAD has gone "3-D" in a big way since their Version 14, (though I upgraded my personal license to 2000 when released) the last company I worked for stayed with (and is was still using when I left) V.14. and all of our work remained in the realm of 2-D.
College was way too long ago (hey, we were still using pencils, "T" squares and slide rulers back then) and CAD was but a glint on the horizon, so if I could conquer AutoCAD from scratch, ArchiCAD should be a snap(?)
Dwight
Newcomer
Re: Chain of command differences.

You are right.

ArchiCAD is a lot less like being in the army than AutoCAD.
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
Once you get used to archicad logic, you will just love it.
Rakela Raul
Participant
and wait till u see ac10...u will kill for it 😉)
MACBKPro /32GiG / 240SSD
AC V6 to V18 - RVT V11 to V16
Learn and get certified!