BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Retina display, 15" vs 17" Mbps & archicad

aahatimo
Newcomer
The new MacBook pros have been announced and the latest and greatest version is the 15" retina displayed, flash memory beauty. http://www.apple.com/macbook-pro/
There are no new 17" models even showing up on apple's site no idea if that means discontinued or what.
Any thoughts about how archicad will look on the new display?
Will graphisoft optimize ac for such a display in the future? I hope there is one of these babies heading to budapest soon!
I really need to replace my 4+ year old, overheating Mbp soon, just not sure if I should pull the trigger on the latest and greatest, but smaller 15" unit or buy a refurbished current version 17".
tim hanagan
aaha! design studio durango, co
27" retina 5k iMac 4ghz i7 os 10.13.6 m395x 4 mb, 32gb ram, 512 gb ssd ac 22 current
15" retina mbp 2.6ghz 1mb 16gb ac 22 current[/size]
17 REPLIES 17
Erich
Contributor
David,

I got to the party a bit late it seems. I'm getting a message that the attachment cannot be found. Can you repost? Thanks.
Erich

AC 19 6006 & AC 20
Mac OS 10.11.5
15" Retina MacBook Pro 2.6
27" iMac Retina 5K
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
Erich wrote:
I got to the party a bit late it seems. I'm getting a message that the attachment cannot be found. Can you repost? Thanks.
Here it is (don't understand why it disappeared).

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
aahatimo
Newcomer
how is the retina mbp working out for folks out there?
now that there are some alternate builds available thinking about upgrading. i still have my old 23" acd to use as 2nd monitor.
maybe some reading glasses are in my future....
tim hanagan
27" retina 5k iMac 4ghz i7 os 10.13.6 m395x 4 mb, 32gb ram, 512 gb ssd ac 22 current
Erich
Contributor
I'm liking mine so far, but I am just upgrading to AC 16 officially tomorrow so I don't have any working time in on the new system yet. But the machine is gorgeous and FAST!

The small screen is a bit of a concern, but I think a bit of WE rearrangement will fix that and I can always connect the 20" monitor that I have lying around if it seems necessary.
Erich

AC 19 6006 & AC 20
Mac OS 10.11.5
15" Retina MacBook Pro 2.6
27" iMac Retina 5K
PB
Advocate
Had my RMBP for a week now: Very, very nice machine....I am happy to recommend it whole heartedly.

AC16 is purring along very well, and I've encountered no problems whatsoever so far....quite the opposite, in fact: AC is now performing as it should, & as I need: Editing in the 3D window is a delight, the mesh I use as a terrain no longer disappears if it undergoes too many SEOs, and opening elevations & sections is no longer an excuse to go make a cup of tea!

The graphics card(s) are driving the retina display and a 30" Apple Cinema Display without any problems at all.

I'm very happy with this new laptop, and strongly recommend to all, and that's without even touching on the gorgeous screen, impeccable build quality, and elegant modern design! (but remember, I am stepping up from a 6 year old 17" MBP ! )

The only fly in the ointment is having to sort out my MagicPrefs settings all over again for the magic mouse......
AC27 Apple Silicon. Twinmotion.
16" M1 Max MacBook Pro 32GB, Apple Studio Display, MacOS14
aahatimo
Newcomer
have had mine for 3 weeks, overall really like it.
only major problem i have had was a detached retina 3 days after getting it. really do not think there is any link, just weird coincidence!
has anyone come up with a good setup for magic mouse and magic prefs? still having a hard time getting a similar setup to my old snow leopard / 4 year old mbp functions. also would be interested in seeing different work environment setups. still experimenting there, but my temporary limited vision adds to the challenge.
tim hanagan
stefan
Expert
Overall quite pleased with this laptop, even though it was expensive. Chose to stick with the basic CPU (2,3 Ghz Quad Core i7) and use the saved Euro's for upgrading to 16 Gb RAM. SSD at 256 GB is quite small, but I'll have to learn to use SSD for work and archive what I don't work on more regularly. Not sure if that is really a bad thing.

Lack of ports is an issue: ethernet needs €30 dongle, Firewire too (needed for external sound card), my Cinema Display needed a magsafe2magsafe2 adaptor €10. Having only 2 USB ports is a problem. Luckily the adaptor uses the Thunderbolt port, so after connecting my Display (power - thunderbolt and one USB) and Ethernet (the second thunderbolt), there is only one USB left (to the right of the machine. Tried HDMI on my TV at home. Not receiving sound.

So far, I've had a few crashes in ArchiCAD when using the "looks like 1920x1200" resolution and working in the 3D window. 2D is OK.
Starting submitting all bug reports.

I'm on AC16 hotfix 2 (which I postponed untill we updated our BIM server as well).
--- stefan boeykens --- bim-expert-architect-engineer-musician ---
Archicad27/Revit2023/Rhino8/Unity/Solibri/Zoom
MBP2023:14"M2MAX/Sonoma+Win11
Archicad-user since 1998
my Archicad Book
Karl Ottenstein
stefan wrote:
Having only 2 USB ports is a problem. Luckily the adaptor uses the Thunderbolt port, so after connecting my Display (power - thunderbolt and one USB) and Ethernet (the second thunderbolt), there is only one USB left (to the right of the machine).
...and don't forget that the one remaining USB port is now your ONLY USB 3.0 port, as the Cinema display (even current models) is only USB 2.0 So, if you have an external USB 3 disk you need to use that one remaining port if you want full speed... or get a USB 3 port hub, which starts to make the entire 'docked' setup a tangle of wires and devices...

Presumably a revised Cinema display with USB 3 will come out this year... but most of us will still require a USB hub (at least then it can be plugged into the Cinema display and not the laptop) to support all of the USB devices we use and the display only offers a net gain of 2 ports.
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Learn and get certified!