Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Ryzen 7

justdhruv
Contributor
Has anyone tried using archicad on a 8 core amd ryzen machine.
ArchiCAD 20. MacBook Pro 17", 2010
+ core i7 4970k Hackintosh
19 REPLIES 19
Anonymous
Not applicable
justdhruv wrote:
Has anyone tried using archicad on a 8 core amd ryzen machine.
I just got an AMD R7 1700 and i've been using it for the past few days with AC20. It's running smoothly and quiet. I've upgraded from an i5 4590 and i did feel a difference. The biggest difference was when rendering and rebuilding sections and elevations. Another big difference i've spotted was when rendering with Artlantis. Those 16threads will be worth every penny. I'm planning to overclocking to see if it's worth the trouble and might get back to leave an update.
Overall AMD did a great job with the new processors but still has a long way to surpass intel on singlecore performance. However i believe it to be the best choice for workstations as it has the best performance/price ratio. I'm not an AMD fanboy, I'm stating my opinion. If i didn't believe so, I could return it and get an equivalent priced Intel. Also, the motherboards manufacturers are still working on improving their products. For example I got an MSI B350 Gaming PRO that still needs some touching up. For instance, i got 16gb ram Corsairs Vengeance 3200mhz but the system is not stable at that speed. At the moment they only work at 3000mhz but MSI should release a new BIOS update to improve compatibility.
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Mokdabu,

Thanks for the feedback, please let us know any info you might want to share about ARCHICAD running on a AMD Ryzen machine.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Anonymous
Not applicable
laszlonagy wrote:
Mokdabu,

Thanks for the feedback, please let us know any info you might want to share about ARCHICAD running on a AMD Ryzen machine.
Hello Lazlo,
Since my last post i got to overclock the CPU to 3.6ghz. I couldn't go higher because of the heat. I'm planning to get a watercooler so i can raise the clock even higher, hopefully to 4.0. But even with 3.6 ghz i can feel the difference. The projects open up faster and elevations/sections also generate and update much faster. There is also an improvement when rendering with Archicad's Cinerender but i don't use it since i'm working with Artlantis. The motherboard manufacturers have yet to improve their bios an hopefully they will release a new one this month. It's definitely worth to upgrade to AMD but for those who do not want to do manual tweaking to the bios, i suggest they wait a couple more months until everything will run super smooth on it's own.
Any questions, feel free to ask.
Have a great day!
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Sounds good, thanks for the info.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Anonymous
Not applicable
laszlonagy wrote:
Sounds good, thanks for the info.
Always a pleasure, Lazlo!
A wonderful weekend to you!
justdhruv
Contributor
Are you facing any particular issues with the processors, that you feel will get ironed out after the bios updates.

It would be great if you post approximate benchmarks for any one of your files, comparing intel and AMD
ArchiCAD 20. MacBook Pro 17", 2010
+ core i7 4970k Hackintosh
Anonymous
Not applicable
justdhruv wrote:
Are you facing any particular issues with the processors, that you feel will get ironed out after the bios updates.

It would be great if you post approximate benchmarks for any one of your files, comparing intel and AMD
Not quite. The processor runs fine. The only issues are when overclocking. The system is not stable yet due to the ram compatibility issues. Since my last post MSI has released a new BIOS version which clearly improved the RAM compatibility but they still need to work on it until everything runs smooth when overclocking. At the moment, if you get a new AMD system and update the bios and run at stock setting, you are going to be perfectly fine. You may also be fine if you're lucky when overclocking but it's a gamble. Al these problems should not exist since they officially released the new chips, however i will let it slide since it's completely new platform.

Regarding benchmarks, i am sorry but i am not able to do any comparisons since i don't have the old intel system anymore.
Anonymous
Not applicable
A new machine in our office runs on AMD.
Spec:
Ryzen 1800X, 32 GB 2666, AMD Radeon Pro WX7100, Evo 960 M2 SSD.
Archicad 20 runs better comparing to my old one i7-3790, 32 gb, W8100. Other programs run much faster.
IMHO - Ryzen + Radeon PRO is a great combo at moment, worth buying!
nitizz
Participant
Thanks a lot for the feedback. Its worth buying it. Im planning to purchase a new ryzen rig
AC27 INT FULL

27-inch 2019 iMac Retina 5K 10.14.6 macOS Mojave

3.6 GHz Core I9 Radeon Pro 580X 8GB

www.rethinkstudio.mu