BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Ryzen 7

justdhruv
Contributor
Has anyone tried using archicad on a 8 core amd ryzen machine.
ArchiCAD 20. MacBook Pro 17", 2010
+ core i7 4970k Hackintosh
19 REPLIES 19
We need a benchmark test file to compare systems with.

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi guys,

Running archicad 21 & 17 on a brand new Ryzen 7 1700x/B350/Win 10 system, and have not been impressed at all with the performance

Sure rendering is lightning fast but when working in both Archicad 17 and 21 its just so laggy and unresponsive - like delays when selecting objects, choosing layers, deleting items, de-selecting objects etc. Panning around is super smooth though.

Everything else absolutely FLIES on this pc (MS office, cinebench, corona benchmark, photoshop, gaming etc etc)

Have had lots of back & forward with graphisoft support and the only thing they can think of is that archicad isn't optimised for the AMD Ryzen cpu instruction set.. can post their response if anyone interested..

And if anyone wants some kind of benchmark done let me know.. and keen to hear about anyone else on Ryzen and how its going for them?

Cheers
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi guys.

This might sound like a cliché but it seems that there´s different thoughts on the Ryzen 7-

The latest in this thread was a negative one, in comparison to earlier posts...

Im just about to buy a gaming rig for my ArchiCAD Home office, and AMD Ryzen seems to be the best buy!

Right now I´m heavily underpowered when rendering with cinerender (and rebuilding complex 3d documents) But I would not like to comprise with lacking when selecting objects, and doing standard operations!

Also I´m rendering with Indigo Render from C4d, and for this part I need a videocard with lots of RAM.

So any (more) thoughts on a Ryzen setup (and the gtx 1080 8gb if you´d like) would be appreciated.

Have a great weekend.

If you´re interested then here´s the setup with default config.
(I would upgrade the PSU, cooler, ssd and the motherboard)

AMD Ryzen 7 1700 Op til 3.7GHz 8 cores / 16 threads
– AMD Wraith cooler
ASUS STRIX GTX 1080 8GB
16GB 2666MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX
Asus Prime B350m-K
120GB Kingston A400 SSD
1TB Toshiba P300 64MB 7200RPM
Corsair TX550m – 80+ Gold
Phanteks P300 – Tempered glass Black
Anonymous
Not applicable
Steve wrote:
We need a benchmark test file to compare systems with.
Hello,
I've also built an AMD system with a Ryzen 2600.
We could use the Graphisoft example project and a specific publisher set to benchmark the system.

I'm also curious how would a Ryzen 1700 perform as in a bim server system, they are currently a great value cpu!
MMontgomery
Enthusiast
Hi Fabio -

I'm curious as to how snappy your Ryzen 2600 feels in ArchiCAD. I'm using an Intel i7-2700K (8 years old) and it is very laggy and constantly feels a few steps behind.

I'm waiting for an i9-9900K CPU, but not sure when they will be in stock, so I'm considering Ryzen or Threadripper. Reading some of the other comments about the 1st Gen Ryzen CPUs I'm not convinced the AMD platform would be an upgrade in day to day interaction in ArchiCAD. What has your experience been?
AC 6-27 - Intel i9-9900K - RTX3090 - Windows 11 - 64GB RAM
justdhruv
Contributor
Just wanted to bump up this thread. Ryzen is on Gen 3 now, and hit 16 cores this month. Graphisoft has had two years and two versions to optimise for AMD.

I wanted to ask,
I know the cinerender will use all the cores. But How many cores can Archicad, Usefully use, for generating sections and updating viewports?

is it worth going for a 12 or 16 core, or is 8 core what archicad can handle?
ArchiCAD 20. MacBook Pro 17", 2010
+ core i7 4970k Hackintosh
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi, followup question here

im starting a course in Archicad for interior designers. And wondering if anyone has tried to run Archicad on the new Lenovo Yoga 7 Slim with AMD Ryzen 7 4700U, AMD Radeon RX Vega 7 and 16 gb ram.

Hope someone will help me here:)

best regards
Mikel
Barry Kelly
Mikel wrote:
Hi, followup question here

im starting a course in Archicad for interior designers. And wondering if anyone has tried to run Archicad on the new Lenovo Yoga 7 Slim with AMD Ryzen 7 4700U, AMD Radeon RX Vega 7 and 16 gb ram.

Hope someone will help me here:)

best regards
Mikel

The best way to find out will be to down load the software and give it a try yourself.
You don't need to purchase anything, it will run in demo mode which is fine to evaluate if it works.
If it does then you can look at buying a license or applying for a free student license.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks Barry

I have purchased it now, hope it will run. I cant test it on computer before I have it, thats why I asked if it would run:)
Barry Kelly
Mikel wrote:
Thanks Barry

I have purchased it now, hope it will run. I cant test it on computer before I have it, thats why I asked if it would run:)

Ah, I took it that you already had the computer and were going to do a course that used Archicad and you wanted to know if it would run on that machine.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Learn and get certified!