Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

SSD drives

I understand the performance of these drives is outstanding as is also their price.

I recall someone in this Forum use a lap top with a small SSD and a much larger regular Hard Drive. How are these drives used, the SSd for the program and the other for data storage?
Win 10 Home Premium - AMD Phenom IIX6 1090T Processor 3.20 GHZ 8.00 GB RAM 64-bit Opp. Sys NVIDIA Quadro 4000 AC 22, MEP
4 REPLIES 4
Gerald Hoffman
Booster
Yes, you would install the operating system and programs on the SSD and all data on the hard drive.

Cheers,
Gerald
"The simplification of anything is always sensational" GKC
AC 25-4013 USA, CadImage Tools
2019 MacBook Pro 16" w/ AMD Radeon Pro 5600M GPU
OS X 11.6
2.4 Ghz 8 core i9, 64 GB RAM
27" LG 5K Monitor
henrypootel
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
Depends how you work - All the data i access is stored on a server and/or Dropbox, so I don't need to keep much on my computer.
The 256Gb SSD I have is plenty of room for Windows + all my applications and any data that I want to have locally.
Josh Osborne - Central Innovation

HP Zbook Studio G4 - Windows 10 Pro, Intel i7 7820HQ, 32Gb RAM, Quadro M1200
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
I have a 60 GB SSD system drive and a 750 GB HDD in my laptop.
I bought the SSD about 1.5 years ago. I did not want to spend more on it, it was still pricey.
But today I would probably buy at least a 160 GB one or bigger if I can afford it.
I am not saying that the 60 GB is full but I have to watch what I install and where.
With a 160 GB or even larger SSD system drive this would not be an issue.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Arcadia
Booster
SSD's are great. The best ones are intel as they have best reliability scores I think. For my main system I have a 120gb SSD which has all my software and OS on it. There is enough room for all my programs even Adobe creative suites and 3 different versions of AC etc with 20gb left. I do not keep any data on this drive at all.

My second drive is a 600gb SSD which is where I keep all my archicad files and any current or important files or large files like video files. I have another regular HDD for less important and more archival information.

You can manage all this data by including files from the secondary drives in your windows libraries.

Start up times are much better. AC load times are quicker and file handling better. No defraging is required.

Just a better option for performance systems all round.
V12-V27, PC: Ryzen 9 3950X, 64g RAM, RTX5000, Win 11