Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Saving issue: Orig__(number)

Hi, I have quite often this pop-up saving and file don't want be save.
Orig__Number

clicking on : Try to delete it agin : Not working
And then I have to delete this file manually

Do you know how to fixt it ?
Thank you 🙂
AC 7 - 27 SWE

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2020),

3,6 GHz 10-Core intel Core i9, 64 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, AMD Radeon Pro 5700 XT 16 GB
5 REPLIES 5
Podolsky
Ace
When ArchiCAD is saving files (I think any of them) - it first creates temporary file and after generates needed file and deletes temporary when task is completed. When files are small - you might not notice it. But with the large files you can actually see of appearing of some strange names files on the disk and after disappearing.

So, sometimes this temp file disappearing cannot be performed by some reason in OS (overloaded system, full memory, some software is taking all resources, that runs on background). If it happens accidentally - there is no problem about it. You just delete it.
If it happens all the time - pay more attention to it. As it can be sign of some corruption in your computer.
The problem is that this files orig__ staying on server and sometimes I have 5-10 time folders with name orig and the button "Try to delete it again" it's not working.

It just make mess in folders and you cannot delete last one before closing Archicad file.
Sometimes I need to save file and go and this pop-up just stop saving a do anything useful.
And then I need to do manual save.

I understand that Archicad need some temporary file but this is something wrong

Is there some privacy/usere rights setting in server issue ?

P.S.: We are mac users and all files are save in server.
AC 7 - 27 SWE

3,6 GHz 10-Core intel Core i9, 64 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, AMD Radeon Pro 5700 XT 16 GB
Podolsky
Ace
From what you are saying - it is definitely file is locked by ArchiCAD, while it open - this is why you cannot manually delete it from disk and only can do so after closing ArchiCAD.
If you experience this problem all the time - but only when saving to mentioned server (and no similar problem when you are saving file to computer disc) - then most likely server security settings are set the way, that software cannot delete files on server.
Do you have any IT manager who might set write/read permissions to server folder?
Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hello,

Thank you very much for raising this issue and I am very sorry about the experience!

I agree with Podolsky that the issue more likely comes from saving into the server (thank you very much, Podolsky!). It seems like Archicad locked the Orig__ file, but at the same time, there is another entity preventing Archicad from deleting this file. Unfortunately, in this case, it's better to consult with your IT person for further troubleshooting.

I am very sorry for the inconvenience, and thank you very much for your understanding! Please let me know if you have any further questions!

Best regards,
Minh

Minh Nguyen
Technical Support Engineer
GRAPHISOFT

Honestly I was talking with our IT guy and he also don't know what exactly is issue ( something with rights with file on server )
It's mean that he has to restart server.
We will try it to fix it later because right now is no right time to do it.

Also we are open for any other advice
mnguyen wrote:
Hello,

Thank you very much for raising this issue and I am very sorry about the experience!

I agree with Podolsky that the issue more likely comes from saving into the server (thank you very much, Podolsky!). It seems like Archicad locked the Orig__ file, but at the same time there is another entity preventing Archicad to delete this file. Unfortunately in this case, it's better to consult with your IT person for further troubleshooting.

I am very sorry for the inconvenience, and thank you very much for your understanding! Please let me know if you have any further questions!

Best regards,
Minh
AC 7 - 27 SWE