Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Screen Porch Part

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have checked around some and seen a few older posts on created a screen mesh material that shows up in OpenGL and Lightworks rendering engine as well.

I noticed a post by Dwight that described a way to accomplish this using an alpha channel in Photoshop, but I am not great at trying things with photoshop yet.

Is there anyone that has made a material that meets these requirements? If someone could help me with these settings in AC10 i would greatly appreciate the help.

I just cant imagine why Graphisoft wouldn't include screen material in the stock library! Don't you guys have insect problems in Bedapest!

Hope all this makes sense.
Thanks,
Chris Sparks
9 REPLIES 9
Djordje
Ace
Chris_Sparks1 wrote:
I just cant imagine why Graphisoft wouldn't include screen material in the stock library! Don't you guys have insect problems in Bedapest!
There are quite a few mosquitoes in Budapest in summer - Danube, right? - but I have not seen many insect screens ...
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Anonymous
Not applicable
I looked at the standard material textures in AC 10 library. There is one called Surf-fabric which, if you use it to create a new material and apply around a 60% transmittance looks like a fairly good insect mesh.

Try that applied to a section of suitably thicknessed and sized slab in your window reveal. (I suggest slab because if you use wall it may conflict with the actual wall)
Anonymous
Not applicable
I have tried this way before, but i cant get the sections to show through. I want the material be translucent in both rendering (lightworks).

I need this material to be used with the 3d vectorial hatching so that it shows the windows and doors behind the screens.

The last post helped some, but the second part of the trouble is this has to show through rendered and non rendered using only openGL or internal.
Anonymous
Not applicable
What we really need to do is visit each others property surroundings. Djorde - how would you feel about spending some time in Tennessee -USA, say mid June on a day that has quit raining. Go out on the porch of this house and your nose swells so bad within the next twenty minutes that you have to go back inside and wonder why Graphisoft didnt put that in the library... LOL
Anonymous
Not applicable
Chris

A technique I use for glass balustrades is to put them on a layer which shows in wireframe in my elevation layer combination, so you get the outline but can see through it to the building beyond. Would something like this work for your situation?
Dwight
Newcomer
Great idea!!
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks Stuart,
I have tried this method before, but what I really want this part to look like is a true screen with the wire mesh showing with transparency. I will try to attach some files to show what I am trying to accomplish with this.

The 1st is the floor plan view.
The 2nd is the internal engine - section/elevation view
the 3rd is the open gl and
the 4th is the rendered file.

A couple of questions on these:
1.) is there a way to make the screen appear without being solid in the OpenGL view mode. If i take this above 70 in the settings for transmittance it is solid and below it just doesnt show. Is there a fix or workaround for this?

2.) Is there a way that I can apply a pipeline to the rendering settings in lightworks that looks similar to the mesh as it is shown in the elevation?

Thanks for the help on this one.
Chris
Anonymous
Not applicable
Sorry - I thought you could post more than one pic at a time.

Here is a link to the images

http://homepage.mac.com/chris.cascad/PhotoAlbum1.html
Dwight
Newcomer
There are several ways to make a transparent screen in OpenGL views… with the help of Photoshop.

If this is an emergency or a one-off, just render the view twice with the same resolution and viewpoint: Once with opaque glass and once with invisible glass (you see the OpenGL rendering transparent setting...)

Overlay the opaque glass in front of the transparent glass in Photoshop and reduce its opacity until it is right for you. This works for transparency in glass, too, until Graphisoft gets around to giving us transparency with OpenGL. Like, when could that happen?

Details are on page 175 of my book. Act now, I still have a few of them left.

If you really want to get fancy, use the "difference" blending setting, select the screen areas with the magic wand and add noise - this simulates screen mesh.
Dwight Atkinson