Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Screen flickering/flashing previous 2D window in 3D

MSDC
Contributor

I have a strange issue when in 3D view where the previous plan window flashes up briefly every time I orbit using the Shift+Middle button. It specifically flashes when I let go of the keyboard or mouse buttons. 

However if I am in orbit mode there is no issue at all, as soon as I exit orbit mode by clicking ESC it flashes again. 

I am using Archicad 25 and it is occurring in both 5005 and 6000 across multiple files but not for anyone else in the files. All graphics card drivers are up to date. 

8 REPLIES 8
VinneG
Newcomer

Had the same problem. I use a nvdia rtx 3060 laptop gpu. I downgradet the driver to 516.40 and this solved the problem. 

I decided to reply on this thread as it was the most current.

For anyone with this issue,

Sometimes downgrading the driver will work, sometimes you can change your laptop to only use dGPU.

I have always bought gaming laptops, and forcing the dGPU was always the answer for me.

however this round i bought a content creator laptop. and have learned that just about every new laptop that's not directly related to gaming comes as a muxless system, simply put you can not switch to just the dGPU if you are using the laptop screen its not possible. thus unless you use an external monitor there is no way to avoid the screen flicker. 

so to anyone buying a new laptop, if you don't want to deal with the screen flicker, make sure the laptop is muxed, not muxless.

I tried everything i could find to help the issue and unfortunately not even tricking the computer into thinking its attached to an external monitor will resolve the issue.

muxless laptops always use the integrated gpu for everything on screen that is not 3d and will render all 3d items with the dGPU and becasue the dGPU has to go through the iGPU on the laptop screen the flicker will happen.

hopefully intel and NVIDIA/amd can find a way to make things better with the graphics switching.

There is not a loss in performance, but the flicker can be pretty annoying lol.

Botonis
Advisor

This is almost the same as described in this post:

https://community.graphisoft.com/t5/Installation-update/Archicad-blinking-when-I-switch-between-2d-a...

So annoying and still not fixed... 

Botonis Botonakis
Civil Engineer, Enviromental Design MSc., BIM Manager for BS ArhitectsVR
Company or personal website
Archicad 27. Windows 11. Intel Xeon 2699x2,64 GB RAM, Nvidia 3080Ti. 2 Monitors.

I totally did not find that post or I would have commented there.

But it is super curious that it hasn't been fixed, and from what I have found it's not just archicad.

I've got my fingers crossed but I'm not going to hold my breath.

Sorry, but what is this "mux", "muxed", "muxless"? Never heard of this word before.

What's more, not even ChatGPT could help me with its meaning.

Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27

Archicad users don't need AI.....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just kidding! 

6e4c37a864edda044afd1ce4d9f3e2e8027cc86c.jpg

Botonis Botonakis
Civil Engineer, Enviromental Design MSc., BIM Manager for BS ArhitectsVR
Company or personal website
Archicad 27. Windows 11. Intel Xeon 2699x2,64 GB RAM, Nvidia 3080Ti. 2 Monitors.
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin

OK, thanks, now I understand MUX - Multiplexer.

So, I have one question left: when looking at laptop specs, where or what in the specification do I have to look to see if a laptop is a MUXed or MUXless system? Is this something that depends on the chipset? Or the motherboard design? Or something else?

Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27

I have not ever seen it listed. I only found out once I started trying to figure things out. I noticed it in my bios.

I would guess you could chat with the mfg and have them tell you.

But other than that I'm not sure how you would know.