Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Seeking advice on what computer to buy for ArchiCAD 12

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello all,

I'm a network administrator for a customer who has previously been running AutoCAD 2002, and is finally taking the step to draw in 3D. They are about to purchase ArchiCAD 12 and 4-5 new computers at the same time. A good opportunity to look over their IT platform on the client-side.

The budget has been decided, which means so has most of the platform: We're going to run MS Windows and MS Office on an HP xw4600 Workstation with 4Gb RAM, two disks in a RAID-0 set, and an Nvidia Quadro graphics board. The machines will probably be in use for 3 to 5 years, possibly running ArchiCAD 12 without future version upgrades during their lifetime (don't know how much cash the future holds). So I come here seeking advice on only a few remaining issues.

ArchiCAD performance:
1) Is there a difference in ArchiCAD 12 performance between an Intel Core 2 Quad machine and an Intel Core 2 Duo machine that have otherwise identical hardware?
2) Is there a difference in ArchiCAD 12 performance between a Vista machine and an XP machine that have identical hardware?
3) Is there a difference in ArchiCAD 12 performance between a Vista 64-bit machine and a Vista 32-bit machine that have otherwise identical hardware?
4) Nvidia Quadro FX3700 with 512Mb - Would it be enough, or should I get an even more powerful board? And how well are Nvidia's Quadro drivers doing these days?

Other concerns:
1) What would be a suitable display type for an ArchiCAD user? I've suggested 24-inch widescreen displays at 1920 by 1200 pixels. Would that be a good choice? What other factors should I look at when picking out a display?
2) What would be a suitable pointing device - I'm thinking Logitech MX Revolution Laser mouse. Good idea?
3) Artlantis - is it worth the extra investment? How does it perform in the different hardware configurations described above?

If you have any experience regarding these issues, please share your thoughts. I hope I've been detailed enough to inspire insightful and concise answers!
12 REPLIES 12
Dwight
Newcomer
You want Artlantis, fer shoor, but using it requires some extra management.

You might find this surprising, but I'm suggesting two 20" displays placed side-by-each rather than one large one. More pixels at the same cost.

Archicad users have many smaller windows open and the fantasy of the big drafting board has passed.
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for your reply. What do you mean by extra management?
I'll think about those dual displays.

Anyone else?
Dwight
Newcomer
In contrast to using the built-in LightWorks where changes are always current, when you export your Archicad files to Artlantis, it is never when the design is absolutely finished. There's always going to be another update. Managing HOW changes made in Archicad [or mistakenly made in Artlantis and not recorded so that when the Archicad file is re-exported, the changes are lost. AAAAArgh!!] are critical since there's a big investment in the Artlantis file - you'd usually do your better entourage elements exclusively in Artlantis.

It is easy to make a mistake and over-write.

But you need this application since it is the only practical and inexpensive way to put out an entire range of giant Development permit drawings in full color overnight. I'm writing an advanced book on Artlantis since I see it as a clear solution for architects that shortcuts obscure time wasting problems other applications have.
Dwight Atkinson
Djordje
Ace
12 uses up to four cores, so quad is a good idea.

Artlantis uses as much as are present, so quad and Artlantis are even better idea.

Forget Vista, go XP64 - you will be able to use all the RAM among other things.

Add another 512MB to your nVidia. Check the Video card compatibility link at the bottom left of the title page of the Talk.

Think about the screens - is 24" REALLY needed? Maybe you should go with two smaller monitors?

I am using a HP xw 4100 for almost five years now; no glitches, no problems. Those machines hold on.
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks Djordje, but I think I need you to motivate your choices from a performance standpoint. Why is XP64 better than Vista in that regard? And also 32-bit vs 64-bit.

I was hoping for choices made on a solid foundation of your experiences with ArchiCAD 12 rather than what we all feel about Vista. Many dislike Vista for different reasons, but those reasons are irrelevant to me.

Let me emphasize it again: I'd like to know about ArchiCAD 12 Performance!

So, my questions remain.
Anonymous
Not applicable
VicVega
F.W.I.W, my comments on duel vs. single wide screen.
I had a nice duel set up, but then switched to single large screen for a reason that may not be relevant to your crew.
That is, as in my case, usually as you get a little older, you eyes don't adjust to changes in depth-of-field as fast, so I found
that having one monitor gave me faster and clearer readings on screen, especially if object/type was smaller, (less scrolling in and out and looking left/right/left/right). And even though my eyes are not perfect they are in amazingly great shape....So something to think about.
Especially if you like to sit close to monitor as I do, the change in d.o.f. is quite noticeable from one monitor to the other.
I now use a single Hp w2408 Vivid Color Widescreen with Birghtview, and on top of that it's adjustment of angle is just killer if you like to recline while working as I do.
Bier
henrypootel
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
Hope I can help with some of these:
ArchiCAD performance:
1) Is there a difference in ArchiCAD 12 performance between an Intel Core
2 Quad machine and an Intel Core 2 Duo machine that have otherwise identical hardware?
Definitely! I've done some fairly extensive benchmarking in our office, and my Quad-2.66 completes Section/Elevation generation in less than half the time that it takes a Duo-2.8 to do the same.
2) Is there a difference in ArchiCAD 12 performance between a Vista machine and an XP machine that have identical hardware?
I made the jump to Vista from XP about a month ago, and using the aforementioned benchmark, Vista performs roughly 10%-15% faster than XP did.
3) Is there a difference in ArchiCAD 12 performance between a Vista 64-bit machine and a Vista 32-bit machine that have otherwise identical hardware?
Not too sure, but you will definitely not be wanting to use 32-bit versions anyway because of the amount of RAM you want, and the chunky graphics card.
4) Nvidia Quadro FX3700 with 512Mb - Would it be enough, or should I get an even more powerful board? And how well are Nvidia's Quadro drivers doing these days?
Yes, it should do very nicely. If you are not working with huge 3D models, then a 1700 or even a 570 would do the job just as well.
Josh Osborne - Central Innovation

HP Zbook Studio G4 - Windows 10 Pro, Intel i7 7820HQ, 32Gb RAM, Quadro M1200
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks Henry, that was very useful. I'm still not sure about 64-bit. You haven't tested it at all? Since some apps are faster on 64-bit Windows than on 32-bit, and vice versa, I'm hoping to find someone who has tested ArchiCAD 12 in real life on both platforms on the same hardware.
Djordje
Ace
VicVega wrote:
Thanks Djordje, but I think I need you to motivate your choices from a performance standpoint. Why is XP64 better than Vista in that regard? And also 32-bit vs 64-bit.
64bit is better than 32bit as it can use more than 2GB RAM per application. That is the basic reason. You know that better than I do.

I am old fashined and like to play safe with the OS - my OSs were DOS - NT4 - 2000 - XP. Note the absence of 3.1, 3.11, 95, 98 ... or MacOS ;D So, no, I do not have a personal experience with Vista - or time to experiment.

Sorry about the personal answer.
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen