Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Sending 3D model of building to Google Earth Pro

Anonymous
Not applicable
I am using V23 of AC and I am having an issue where I can't seem to get my design to transfer to Google Earth. I have tried both the normal way (file/interoperability/send to Google Earth) and saving the file in the .kmz format and then opening the file in Google Earth. The best I get is Google Earth going to the tight location and showing the pin but not the building. Anyone know what is going on?

Regards.
3 REPLIES 3
Stress Co_
Advisor
Does the model show up in "My Places"?
Just a guess, but could the elevation of the model be below
Google Earth's plane?

Also, big models seem to take forever to load,
even after the Pin has appeared.
Marc Corney, Architect
Red Canoe Architecture, P. A.

Mac OS 10.15.7 (Catalina) //// Mac OS 14.2.1 (Sonoma)
Processor: 3.6 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9 //// Apple M2 Max
Memory: 48 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 //// 32 GB
Graphics: Radeon Pro 580X 8GB //// 12C CPU, 30C GPU
ArchiCAD 25 (5010 USA Full) //// ArchiCAD 27 (4030 USA Full)
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks Stress Co. Initially the building shows in the "temporary" section and I can save them to the "my places" section even though the building is not showing. I also agree that large designs do take forever to transfer and I have some that have taken over 1 hour. I have figured out that the long time is caused by the translation from Archicad into a .kmz file format. In my case Archicad only uses about 15% of available CPU resources and only about 16% of my ram (32GB). The worst part is waiting 30 minutes for the file to be converted and then when Google Earth opens it goes to the correct location and then say "Can't Read File". I tend to only develop very large projects and I am finding this poor "compatibility" with Google Earth very frustrating, especially when wanting to use this capability to present projects. Maybe someone from Graphisoft can find out why Archicad doesn't use more of a systems resources to speed things up and why the things don't work more smoothly. An I almost forgot, In my designs I set the location height to a value that is about 10 feet above the elevation indicated in Google Earth Pro so it should hover above the ground level. Thanks for the response and I am hoping some other will have more ideas.

Regards
Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hi,

Thank you for sharing the issue and I am sorry about the issue!

This is a pretty rare report! My first hunch is that maybe the project is far from origin? This can lead to wrong model's position when importing the file to Google Earth. Here is how you can read more about this issue: https://helpcenter.graphisoft.com/knowledgebase/25447/

If that is not the case, could you share with us an example file, along with the KMZ export, so that I can investigate further?

Thank you very much!

Best regards,
Minh

Minh Nguyen
Technical Support Engineer
GRAPHISOFT