Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Slow archicad on macbook pro retina 15

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello, I have a problem with the archicad from the 19th version, now I'm using 21. I have a student version and the latest updates.

Some operations are incredibly slow, for example, it takes about 0.5 seconds to return some action. The click of element to element is also slow and overall seems to me compared to the pc version is all slower even on a much less powerful machine. I have macbook retina 15 years in 2013. I have low resolution and it does not help. Do you know if this is a problem with all macbooks, or how to solve this problem? Reinstall system or archicad doesnt help.

Thank you for answer.
8 REPLIES 8
Karl Ottenstein
How much memory do you have on your MacBook? Do you have an SSD or a disk (or fusion drive)? How much free space does it have? What graphic card do you have? Which version of MacOS are you running?
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
2,4 Ghz Intel Core i7
8 GB 1600 Mhz DDR3
SSD 256gb (free cca 100gb)
NVIDIA GeForce GT650M 1GB
Mac OS High Sierra

I do not think it has anything to do with that. Other people run archicad much better on less powerful PCs. And a i had this problem on earlier softwares too.
Thank you
Karl Ottenstein
Posednak wrote:
2,4 Ghz Intel Core i7
8 GB 1600 Mhz DDR3
Mac OS High Sierra

I do not think it has anything to do with that. Other people run archicad much better on less powerful PCs. And a i had this problem on earlier softwares too.
Thank you
You know that ARCHICAD is not fully compatible with High Sierra / 10.13 yet? GS has not announced the compatibility update release yet. This is causing problems for anyone with a new computer as they have no choice but to get 10.13 delivered.

The SSD and so much free space is great... but eliminates one of the most obvious possibilities.

Did you have the same slowness issues with El Capitan / 10.11 ?

When you are running ARCHICAD, if you launch Activity Monitor - how much of your 8 GB memory is in use / free ? 8 GB is pretty minimal. I have 12 GB but show 7.8 GB in use with an empty AC template open.

Are you accessing any networked resources in your AC file and/or otherwise open on your Mac? The PLN itself or libraries over a network? I assume you are not using Teamwork. No atypical background processes - network watcher, 3rd party firewall / antivirus? Check your System Preferences > Users and the list of Login Items for your user account. Scan Activity Monitor sorted views while you are working to see if you notice any strange process consuming resources.

...??
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm having the same issues upon the latest update all the prefs were updated but not corrected. The slowness to begin with was due to the prefs that involved the auto rebuilds and a few other settings. After those changes there was a little improvement, but my older home-built I3 PC seems quite a bit faster. Am hoping the conditions with HS will be fixed soon.
Dave Jochum
Advocate
Posednak wrote:
2,4 Ghz Intel Core i7
8 GB 1600 Mhz DDR3
Mac OS High Sierra

Thank you
My machine is a year older than yours (same graphics card) and I do not have speed issues. High Sierra is a no-no at least until the next update which tech support says should happen just before or possibly just after Christmas. One other thing to consider--be sure you have 2D Hardware Acceleration turned on. When off, my machine creeps.
Dave Jochum
J o c h u m A R C H I T E C T S http://www.jochumarchitects.com
MBP 16" (M1 Max) 64 GB•OS 13.5.2•AC 27 Silicon (latest build)
try a clean installation of ARCHICAD?
Think Like a Spec Writer
AC4.55 through 27 / USA AC27-4060 USA
Rhino 8 Mac
MacOS 14.2.1
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi, I bought a whole new macbook pro. The problem is exactly the same. I copied the old system there. In a month I'll have time to try a totally clean installation of everything. But on the old Macbook I did it a couple of times, and nothing helped. I am most concerned that if I do a project and I have to go back 20 steps, I click 20x and it takes about half a minute to get it done. Likewise, if I modify a larger fill, the shift takes a long time. I'm angry that simple operations do not work on such an expensive machine. I will probably have to learn with other programs.
Dave Jochum
Advocate
I unfortunately don't have any help to offer, but for the record I also have a brand new MBP running High Sierra and have no slowness issues at all. You can compare my hardware and software specs in my signature to yours. I'm running a new 27" 4K external monitor, and again, no problems.
Dave Jochum
J o c h u m A R C H I T E C T S http://www.jochumarchitects.com
MBP 16" (M1 Max) 64 GB•OS 13.5.2•AC 27 Silicon (latest build)