Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Slow/lag in teamworks when moving between internal elevations

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi all, I need to scratch the collective brain.

Some of my team are struggling with swapping between internal elevation tabs. This is really getting frustrating. The machines meet the recommended spec (I9-9900x, 64gb ram, quadro M4000 8gb, Samsung 970 EVO).

The file has been moved from AC22 to 23 to 24 over time including teamworks. The file is 17.6GB as teamworks (6.2GB as pln snapshot).

Is this just a limitation of the software? Is this likely the machine? Or is it a file issue?

Does anyone else have this trouble? If not what spec machines and system are you running.
5 REPLIES 5
Hello tlodge,

Your BIMCloud database seems to be heavy !

The tool does not make use. You have to consider your design method as well. Does your file have obsolete or unsolicited attributes? Does your project have unsolicited layouts and views? Does your project have one or more classification systems?

Before considering the material it is worth considering how the BimCloud project database was edited.
It may be useful to upload your PLN file locally, clean it up from top to bottom and then share it again.
It is very likely that the PLN project shared again on the BimCloud will then be much lighter.

Finaly I sometimes remove all the SEOs from a project when it is much too slow and then correctly edit these SEOs. Sometimes the number or type of SEOs is far too numerous or unnecessarily requested.
Christophe - FRANCE
Archicad Designer and Teacher
Archicad 15 to 27 FRA FULL

OS 11.6 Big Sur - MacBook Pro 2017 - 16Go RAM
"Quality is never an accident ; it's always the result of an intelligent effort" John Ruskin
Anonymous
Not applicable
Christope, What would you consider as a reasonable size file?

I have saved down and re-shared and saw the file size drop to 13.1GB.

I had previously stripped out any unneeded layouts, checked attributes and removed unneeded or missing attributes.

There are two classification systems so can get rid of one of those. And there are a fair amount of SEOs so can also look at that. Just thinking of whats the bestbit to taget.
tlodge wrote:
Christope, What would you consider as a reasonable size file?
it all depends on the size of the project and the level of precision of the modeling. For a project of a few hundred m2 I consider that a bimcloud project of less than 3GB is correct but for a project of 5000m2 it is possible to reach the size of 7 to 8GB. I have never exceeded these bimcloud project sizes.
Christophe - FRANCE
Archicad Designer and Teacher
Archicad 15 to 27 FRA FULL

OS 11.6 Big Sur - MacBook Pro 2017 - 16Go RAM
"Quality is never an accident ; it's always the result of an intelligent effort" John Ruskin
agroni
Booster
to all previously said, I would add the following:

Check your local empty space in the drive. Usually Teamwork Projects need 3-4 times of free drive space of a project size. So in your case 13Gb x 4 = 52Gb. This is a sort of a cache of the local teamwork copy that the programe needs to operate. I assume you are running Windows with an SSD, an taking into consideration that WIN10 and Software can take up to 30-40Gb of space, it might get tight.

We are working on a project with 50.000m² that is splitted into 5 Teamwork Files. The Main file varies between 3,5 up to 4,5 Gb as a Teamwork. In our case it is also very slow
The BIMster @ AllesWirdGut
Currently: Archicad 26
User since Archicad 6.5 (2001)

Hi Everyone,

The File-size-management is can be a real obstacle to the qualitative production of our projects. The file size explodes because the external references (especially the image formats) are saved with the project. 

You can define the actualisation modus from every external reference with the drawing manager. Make sure you do not save external references with the project.

Of course this requires a real organization and a competent management.
You must do this from a local plan file before republishing it as Teamwork.
The size of the file will decrease.

---
Gwenael Tripodi, Architect | BIM Manager
AC 8.1-26 
MacOS Big Sur | 3,8 GHz i7 8Core | 24GB | AMD 5500 XT

Gwenael Tripodi, Architect | BIM Manager
AC 8.1-26
MacOS Big Sur | 3,8 GHz i7 8Core | 24GB | AMD 5500 XT