BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Slow moving model in 3D

Ivan Myers
Booster
Hello,
I hope I'm not asking a redundant question already answered, if I am I apologize.

My issue is that I have a model that was functioning great, i.e. moving fast in 3D when I orbit and zoom, when I last saved it. It has been a bout 3 weeks since working on it and now that I start working on it again I can hardly navigate in 3D, I keep getting the watch and it keeps 'faltering' taking way to long to react. Any suggestions?

I really appreciate all the help.

Ivan
Designer/ Drafter

ArchiCAD 26 on 27" Mac
8 REPLIES 8
If you've upgraded to the latest build (6006), you might be running into the large texture issue that was introduced in this build.

http://helpcenter.graphisoft.com/troubleshooting/performance/archicad-19-performance-troubleshooting...
Richard
--------------------------
Richard Morrison, Architect-Interior Designer
AC26 (since AC6.0), Win10
Ivan Myers
Booster
Thanks,
So I followed the link, It seems the only solution is to manually go in and reduce the size of all my textures and then re load them back into the library?
That is going to be a pain staking process. Any work arounds like setting all materials to white or somthing? How would I do that en mass?

Thanks,
Ivan
Designer/ Drafter

ArchiCAD 26 on 27" Mac
Barry Kelly
Ivan wrote:
Any work arounds like setting all materials to white or somthing? How would I do that en mass?
If you don't mind deleting the surfaces with the large images then in the surface settings dialogue simply "Delete & Replace" with a simpler surface.
All elements using the deleted surface will automatically swap to the new (replaced) surface.

Otherwise you need to edit the surface to swap or delete the textures or edit the textures in something like Photoshop and re-load as you suggested.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Barry Kelly
And of course in 19 you can use the Surface Painter to swap surfaces - this will not delete the original surface from you attributes.
It just simply won't be used anymore in your model.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
Ivan wrote:
Any work arounds like setting all materials to white or somthing? How would I do that en mass?
One option is to go to 3D Window Settings, click the Advance Options... button, then uncheck Textures. The textures will be replaced by the Surface Color.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Or you could reinstall AC to the prior build.
Richard
--------------------------
Richard Morrison, Architect-Interior Designer
AC26 (since AC6.0), Win10
Ivan Myers
Booster
Thanks all for the help. All great options. I really liked unchecking the textures in the advanced 3D window settings. Also I found another work around, which is to use the Filter and Cut to turn off major elements while I'm orbiting around a certain element it really speeds things up, though the problem remains when all elements are turned on.

Any idea when the next update that will fix this issue comes out?

Thanks again!!
Ivan
Designer/ Drafter

ArchiCAD 26 on 27" Mac
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Everyone,

thanks for this discussion. It lead me to a fix. I also had achingly slow 3d generation since the last build in AC19. I initially worked through checking my drivers which were up to date. I then went through a process of elimination of elements to isolate the problematic items. I isolated it to the complex profiles. I then talked to some colleagues who started saying that I should NEVER use complex profiles. I knew there had to be another reason as I have never had a problem with them through the last 3 versions.
After checking the resolution of the images in my personal texture library I found two textures that exceeded the resolution of 4096x4096. As soon as I changed these my speed was back.
The process of elimination led me to something within the profile. Be careful who you listen to though!

http://helpcenter.graphisoft.com/troubleshooting/performance/archicad-19-performance-troubleshooting...
Learn and get certified!