BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Slow operating project in AC 12

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have a project that is somewhat large and is regenerating slowly with trace on (between 5 and 12 seconds for every move of the cursor). If I turn trace off it doesn't seem to be a problem. I haven't noticed this on my other projects. Any ideas why it's so slow?
11 REPLIES 11
Eduardo Rolon
If I remember correctly it might be that the layer set active for the Trace and the Story are different.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you, that was it!
Anonymous
Not applicable
If I remember correctly it might be that the layer set active for the Trace and the Story are different.

ejrolon you are correct but my question to Graphisoft is why is this acceptable? It destroys the usefulness of Trace! We have the same problem and having to wait 5 to 12 seconds between every function (pan, zoom, move or draw an object, etc.) is blowing our time lines. I haven't seen ArchiCAD run this slow since version 7. Is there some way to fix this before version 13?
Anonymous
Not applicable
Any further thoughts on this?

I just updated to 12 and am really frustrated at this slow redraw. I even upgraded my video card to fix this and still get the little watch of death for 5-12 seconds just for moving something.

I thought it would be blazing fast using this. It seemed to be when I saw it on a trainer's laptop.
Karl Ottenstein
You should never have to wait that long.

Review this article and see if their are any suggestions in it that help:
http://www.archicadwiki.com/2D%20Speed%20In%20ArchiCAD%2012

Cheers,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
siteline wrote:
Any further thoughts on this? I just updated to 12 and am really frustrated at this slow redraw. I even upgraded my video card to fix this and still get the little watch of death for 5-12 seconds just for moving something.
Jeff:

You might want to check: Work Environment > User Preference Schemes > More Options > Model Display in 2D Navigation.

HTH

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Anonymous
Not applicable
Here's screenshots of my settings. I have tried the suggestions in the Wiki article also, but to no avail.

When I am showing the trace of a floor above/below that shares the same layerset, it's a pretty fast redraw. The watch only shows up for about 1.5 seconds. It's when I use a different layerset from the Viewmap (even though it's a manually rebuilt section or plan) I get the slows.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Here's my Advanced Redraw options, too.
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
siteline wrote:
When I am showing the trace of a floor above/below that shares the same layerset, it's a pretty fast redraw. The watch only shows up for about 1.5 seconds. It's when I use a different layerset from the Viewmap (even though it's a manually rebuilt section or plan) I get the slows.
Jeff:

This slowdown when using Trace & Reference with a different layer set has been noted a number of times on this forum. There is no current solution.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Learn and get certified!