Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Speed issue

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi,
I have serious problem with my ArchiCAD 22 speed. its extraordinarily slow. I have to wait minutes in order to just switch the view ports. I use windows 10 . and my hardware is as i mentioned below
CPU= Intel CORE i7 6500U 2.52
RAM 12 gig DDR4
graphic card = Nvidia Geforce GTX 940MX

I'll be so thankful if anyone helps me
10 REPLIES 10
Hello m_aalaei,

There are so much things to check before your hardware :
- Object(s) with too much polygons ; imported 3ds or other 3D model which are not BIM model
- Trees with too much polygons
- Model view parameters about curtain walls and railings
- Heavy files import into your project (dwg, ifc, rvt, etc.)
- SEO between mesh and your virtual building

After checking these points you will be able to know about the best speed issue.
Christophe - FRANCE
Archicad Designer and Teacher
Archicad 15 to 27 FRA FULL

OS 11.6 Big Sur - MacBook Pro 2017 - 16Go RAM
"Quality is never an accident ; it's always the result of an intelligent effort" John Ruskin
mikas
Expert
Your hardware is on a low side with a 2 core processor, only 12 GB of RAM, and a lower end graphics card.
First check what Christophe suggested +
- check that you don't have too many tabs open in ArchiCAD. They will all update in background, and those two cores of the i7-6500U might not be enough for subtle background updating.

Hardware:
If you have a project that eats up all your RAM aka memory, your machine will begin to crawl because of that.
The number of 2D elements, very heavy and dense fills or highly detailed objects and/or point clouds etc. might be too much for your graphics card.

If I would have to guess out of these, I would first suggest it's the lack of RAM. Then RAM usage goes above what is available in there, the machine will begin paging RAM to hard drive, and that is _slow_. Maybe check the RAM usage with windows resource usage helper programs. I believe there are standard tools in win10 installation (at least in win10 Pro)?

Secondly I would suggest you have too many ArchiCAD tabs open, which are updating accordingly to any changes in any of the tabs. Two cores are not enough for this to happen smoothly.

Third guess would be your graphics card is not up to the task at hand. You would have to update to have more GPU muscle in case of this. If your computer is a laptop, this might not be so straightforward. (Your processor seems more like a laptop CPU).
AC25, Rhino6/7+Grasshopper, TwinMotionMac Pro 6,1 E5-1650v2-3,5GHz/128GB/eGPU:6800XT/11.6.5 • HP Z4/Xeon W-2195/256GB/RX6800XT/W10ProWS
Anonymous
Not applicable
Christophe wrote:
Hello m_aalaei,

There are so much things to check before your hardware :
- Object(s) with too much polygons ; imported 3ds or other 3D model which are not BIM model
- Trees with too much polygons
- Model view parameters about curtain walls and railings
- Heavy files import into your project (dwg, ifc, rvt, etc.)
- SEO between mesh and your virtual building

After checking these points you will be able to know about the best speed issue.

thank you for reply Christophe . yes I have checked lots of things and its now better in 2d view but i still have problem mostly in 3d view. I hoped there is a way to rise the speed in 3d view
Anonymous
Not applicable
mikas wrote:
Your hardware is on a low side with a 2 core processor, only 12 GB of RAM, and a lower end graphics card.
First check what Christophe suggested +
- check that you don't have too many tabs open in ArchiCAD. They will all update in background, and those two cores of the i7-6500U might not be enough for subtle background updating.

Hardware:
If you have a project that eats up all your RAM aka memory, your machine will begin to crawl because of that.
The number of 2D elements, very heavy and dense fills or highly detailed objects and/or point clouds etc. might be too much for your graphics card.

If I would have to guess out of these, I would first suggest it's the lack of RAM. Then RAM usage goes above what is available in there, the machine will begin paging RAM to hard drive, and that is _slow_. Maybe check the RAM usage with windows resource usage helper programs. I believe there are standard tools in win10 installation (at least in win10 Pro)?

Secondly I would suggest you have too many ArchiCAD tabs open, which are updating accordingly to any changes in any of the tabs. Two cores are not enough for this to happen smoothly.

Third guess would be your graphics card is not up to the task at hand. You would have to update to have more GPU muscle in case of this. If your computer is a laptop, this might not be so straightforward. (Your processor seems more like a laptop CPU).
thanks a lot for your reply. yes my system is laptop. Its Asus k 556UQ. If I want to update one item from graphic card, ram, cpu, and replacing SSD hard with the existing one, Which do you think I should choose?
mikas
Expert
Can't find very much about the exact spesific model number with google, but I suspect it does have one upgradeable memory slot, a so-dimm type slot. You might get memory up to 16GB or even 24GB, depending what's the size of onboard soldered ram. If it's 8GB, then you most propably could upgrade it to 16GB with a 8GB module. Or with a 16GB module you'd get to 24GB. The latter could help a little bit more. Memory supplier and different brands would all be just fine.

Your processor is most likely soldered to the motherboard, so it can't be upgraded.

Your HDD/SSD most likely can be upgraded. If you had a 2,5" HDD, upgrading that to a SSD would help in general computer speed up. So ArchiCAD too should be a little snappier. If you alreade got a SSD, just be sure there is room enough for ArchiCAD to work properly. If not, then upgare to a bigger. All brands with normal specs are just fine (Samsungs have been my choice lately).

All in all, there is not so much to do with consumer laptops, I think only a little help will come out of upgrading in this case. I am afraid upgrading won't solve your situation, at least not for long.

Memory is self replacable for most win-laptops, please see your asus manual for this. This is the one I would try, and if it does not pay out, I'd go and look for a better computer.

SSD would be more laborous to upgrade, and it depends on the persons skills if changing this would be advisable.

ps. Your graphics card could be replaced with a little bit better one though, it might be seated to a MXM slot - I could not tell.
AC25, Rhino6/7+Grasshopper, TwinMotionMac Pro 6,1 E5-1650v2-3,5GHz/128GB/eGPU:6800XT/11.6.5 • HP Z4/Xeon W-2195/256GB/RX6800XT/W10ProWS
Anonymous
Not applicable
mikas wrote:
Can't find very much about the exact spesific model number with google, but I suspect it does have one upgradeable memory slot, a so-dimm type slot. You might get memory up to 16GB or even 24GB, depending what's the size of onboard soldered ram. If it's 8GB, then you most propably could upgrade it to 16GB with a 8GB module. Or with a 16GB module you'd get to 24GB. The latter could help a little bit more. Memory supplier and different brands would all be just fine.

Your processor is most likely soldered to the motherboard, so it can't be upgraded.

Your HDD/SSD most likely can be upgraded. If you had a 2,5" HDD, upgrading that to a SSD would help in general computer speed up. So ArchiCAD too should be a little snappier. If you alreade got a SSD, just be sure there is room enough for ArchiCAD to work properly. If not, then upgare to a bigger. All brands with normal specs are just fine (Samsungs have been my choice lately).

All in all, there is not so much to do with consumer laptops, I think only a little help will come out of upgrading in this case. I am afraid upgrading won't solve your situation, at least not for long.

Memory is self replacable for most win-laptops, please see your asus manual for this. This is the one I would try, and if it does not pay out, I'd go and look for a better computer.

SSD would be more laborous to upgrade, and it depends on the persons skills if changing this would be advisable.

ps. Your graphics card could be replaced with a little bit better one though, it might be seated to a MXM slot - I could not tell.

Mikas thanks a lot for your time I will absolutely consider your advise.
Anonymous
Not applicable
i got all this things done to my computer, yet i get same result, my computer with 64 bit is still not working very well even if i want to use orbit rotation it does not move well.
best regards.
Akhabue Charles
(akhabuecharles02@gmail.com)
toofuerte
Contributor
I am having issues with speed. My computer's speed is not the issue. As I am trying to do work I select a wall and the tool selection settings in the toolbar does not populate for 30 to 90 seconds plus. At the same time I am seeing in the task manager that my CPU utilization % is not getting over 10-12%. My computer's specifications are pretty good even it is a few years old. I tried to stop Windows from scanning everything ARCHICAD is doing to try to speed things up and I thought it did for a little time. Still I am sitting waiting for the computer way to much in between selections. The files are not huge. Not a huge amounts of polygons. Happening on several different projects, small projects.

UPDATE:
I took things out of surfaces that were not needed and took out some libraries that may have been causing the problem. Everything seams to be working fine now.
Gerald Acton "Gary"

Acton Design Services

Windows 10 PRO 64 bit

i7-5820K @ 3.30ghz 32GB Ram

Nvidia GeForce GTX 1650 4GB Ram

AC 19 - AC 26
rjwilden
Booster
Using V23. Had serious speed issues in section, and tracked it down to a curved beam that was a complex profile. once I got rid of that it was back to normal. V23 was unusable with the curved complex profile.
Richard Wilden Design. Ltd
Dunedin, New Zealand.
Imac 27" i9 3.6GHz; 32GB Ram Mac OS 11.3
Archicad V23:V24