Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Starting slowiness on Windows 10 v2004 update

runxel
Legend
Anybody else who has issues with Archicad on Windows 10 v2004?
Archicad seems to have big trouble starting. Surely, AC sadly never was blazingly fast and could be much better in this regard, but after I installed (or rather was finally overruled by my PC...) the big update Archicad has really some issues in getting starting. Version doesn't even matter.
Tested it from 24 down to version 20. All are starting significantly slower. Sometimes they don't come up at all and have to be sniped from the task manager (which by the way shows, that AC in these cases seem to fail allocate more than a few mb of RAM and says "unresponsible").
If it starts, it takes now round about 10–15 minutes until I can work.
No other programs are affected.

PS: Before anybody asks: no anti-virus, everything else (drivers etc) is uptodate...
Lucas Becker | AC 27 on Mac | Author of Runxel's Archicad Wiki | Editor at SelfGDL | Developer of the GDL plugin for Sublime Text |
«Furthermore, I consider that Carth... yearly releases must be destroyed»
13 REPLIES 13
runxel
Legend
Karl wrote:
No solutions from me - just a thank you to Runxel for posting the problem. I've put off upgrading to the version 2004 update of Windows 10 for months after initial reports of people having issues with it. Your slowness - and another user who posted that AC keeps crashing on them with 2004 - will keep me off this update until some positive reports come in. Sticking with version 1909 for now.
Yes, good choice, Karl!

Now it got even worse and Archicad won't start any longer – it just crashes directly....
Lucas Becker | AC 27 on Mac | Author of Runxel's Archicad Wiki | Editor at SelfGDL | Developer of the GDL plugin for Sublime Text |
Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
runxel wrote:
Yes, good choice, Karl!

Now it got even worse and Archicad won't start any longer – it just crashes directly....
Hi runxel,

Sorry to hear about the issue!

I'm wondering if you saved/wrote down any bugID you had? When did that happen: did it crash right after the splash screen, at file opening, or at other stages?

Have you tried to test it with my previous comment (start AC in DEMO mode, update graphics card drivers)?

I have 2 Windows machines, one of them is running 1909, the other is updated to 2004. None of them demonstrate the issue mentioned here.

Looking forward to hearing from you!

Best regards,
Minh

Minh Nguyen
Technical Support Engineer
GRAPHISOFT

runxel
Legend
mnguyen wrote:

I'm wondering if you saved/wrote down any bugID you had? When did that happen: did it crash right after the splash screen, at file opening, or at other stages?

Have you tried to test it with my previous comment (start AC in DEMO mode, update graphics card drivers)?
Hi Ming! Thanks again for chiming in.
This turns out to be more and more mysterious.

So first, yes, the bug reporter came up nearly instantly after clicking on the Archicad icon, but it was all blank! It only showed the "send" button (which was empty, too). So I couldn't copy the bug id 😕

I restarted, and well, it went away. #classic

The second thing is, I'm now at home again, so I have my second display connected, and the start times improved drastically! I can't explain why that would help, and for sure this is something nearly impossible to debug, but:
• External display connected: "normal" startup times, at least not soo bad like:
• No external display connected: super slow startup times.

I know for sure, before win 10 v2004 it never was like this. So surely this update changed something?

And yes, drivers are as uptodate as they can get.
Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hi,

Thank you for the information! This is very interesting to me, usually we received the similar issue when the external screen is connected, not the other way around

Seems like this is hardware related rather than licensing issue. To confirm this, could you disable the integrated Intel GPU in Device Manager > Display Adapter for a while? With this device turn off, Archicad will have to force itself either running with the dedicated GPU, or simply not touching the integrated GPU part.

If this makes AC start faster, we can narrow down the issue to the Intel driver. Please update it, if that's the case.

But if not, could you please collect the dump file of the ARCHICAD.exe process when Archicad is freezing (open Task Manager, navigate to Details tab, right click ARCHICAD.exe > Create Dump file)?

Also, I would like to have a look at the System Information.

Let me know if you need a place to upload the files if we reach this far.
Thank you very much!

Best regards,
Minh

Minh Nguyen
Technical Support Engineer
GRAPHISOFT