Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Manager!

Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Transfer Archicad 16 profile to Archicad 17

Anonymous
Not applicable
My office wants me to look into this. We are making the switch from 16 to 17 and want to transfer our profiles as well each individuals preferences, toolbars, and button layout settings will not need to be set up again. I am hearing from co-workers that they were unable to do this while also receiving the new features of Archicad 17.

Thoughts or workarounds?
4 REPLIES 4
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
What exactly were they not able to transfer?

I think this should work pretty well. The Work Environment can be saved from AC16 and can be imported in AC17.
If you import it in AC17, the menu of course will reflect the AC16 state. In that case you may need to add or modify the position of a few menu commands on the menu that were changed between the two versions. You can compare the menu of the two versions by opening two AC 17 instances and setting the default AC17 Work Environment (WE) in one, the imported AC16 WE in the other.
Generally I don't think there should be a problem with this. So I would like to hear what the exact issues those people had were.

Also, there are lot of settings that can be exported from and imported into versions, like Model View Options Combinations, Favorites, Schemes Settings for Interactive Schedules, Find & Select criteria, Templates, Attributes etc. So all these can be migrated from AC16 to AC17.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Barry Kelly
babelmh13 wrote:
I am hearing from co-workers that they were unable to do this while also receiving the new features of Archicad 17.
This is correct.
You can start with your old Work Environment from 16 (export from 16 and import to 17) and you won't have any of the new commands/tool bars.
Or you can start with the default 17 WE and have all the new bits but none of your customised bits.

But as Laszlo said you can customise your WE.
The choice you have is do you customise your existing 16 WE and add in the new commands (comparing 2 instances of 17 as Laszlo suggested - this is what I did).
Or do you customise the standard WE and just add in the bits you need or are used to.

Remember that you can list all new commands in the WE (and they will show as blue text in the lists).

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
Barry wrote:
Remember that you can list all new commands in the WE (and they will show as blue text in the lists).

Barry.
Will try out today. How do I list all new commands?
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
how do i list all the new commands?
Work Environment > Command Layout Schemes > Menus: middle column: All new commands in alphabetical order.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14