BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Two instances of Archicad on multicore CPU

alemanda
Advocate
Hi,
I opened a new project in archicad 13 64bit on WIN Vista 64bit. Ok.
I opened a big big TW project in another instance of Archicad 13 64bit on the same machine and I noted that the two instances use the same cpu core and not two different cores.
Result
It's impossible to use the instance of archicad with the new (empty) project.
Is it a normal behaviour?
Regards
AC 19 and AC21 latest hotfix
Win 10 Pro 64bit
Double XEON 14 CORES (tot 28 physical cores)
32GB RAM - SSD 256GB - Nvidia Quadro K620
Display DELL 25'' 2560x1440
www.almadw.it
4 REPLIES 4
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Try this:
Copy the whole ArchiCAD folder and start a new ArchiCAD instance from that copied folder. In that case the two running ArchiCAD copies may be handled as different applications.
I don't know if that works, this is just an idea.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
probably the TW project inside AC has eaten the all avaliable memory - check taks manager - if anything was left.

You probably need memory upgrade (the slowdown is beacuse OS is using swap file frequently)

Best Regards,
Piotr
alemanda wrote:
Hi,
I opened a new project in archicad 13 64bit on WIN Vista 64bit. Ok.
I opened a big big TW project in another instance of Archicad 13 64bit on the same machine and I noted that the two instances use the same cpu core and not two different cores.
Result
It's impossible to use the instance of archicad with the new (empty) project.
Is it a normal behaviour?
Regards
Alternatively, if you are using Windows vista or Windows 7, you can assign each instance of ArchiCAD to use separate cores from your taskmanager (under the processes tab; right click-> Set Affinity -> choose the specific core number to use.)

Frankly speaking I don't think it will make that much of a difference since you never really have both instances running in the foreground at the same time. All that this does really, is it locks out some of the cores from each particular instance, (and potentially reduces the performance for each instance due to fewer available cores.)

Typically Windows knows exactly how to assign priorities to separate cores so that you always get optimal performance and functionality with whatever you have running in the foreground, while background (minimized) processes receive lower priority.

The only time I ever assign cores is when I'm rendering using a brute force renderer (like Vray which is set to use all cores to 100% by default) and I still need to use my computer for other tasks at the same time.

Hopefully I understood what you were asking specifically, and hopefully this helps somewhat.
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
This Set Affinity stuff is really interesting.
I am sure not many of us knew about that.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Learn and get certified!