Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Uninstall old AC versions

Tom Krowka
Booster
Am trying to get a bit more disk space. When attempting to uninstall V19, 20 & 21 I get a message that indicates the Java Runtime is not the correct program to uninstall. Dialogue box takes me to a site where I can download the correct version.

Do i uninstall the current version of Java first? Then download the appropriate versions, uninstall previous Archicad versions, then delete the Java used to uninstall, then reload current Java? You've got to be kidding me!!!

Thanks Tom
Tom Krowka Architect
Windows 11, AC Version 26
Thomas@wkarchwk.com
www.walshkrowka.com
6 REPLIES 6
Podolsky
Ace
Yes, it's more less okey. Fortunately process of uninstalling Java and installing again happens in few minutes. Also, I think, if you downgrade your Java to the version that needed for old version - when you install new AC version, it will upgrade Java to the version needed.

Maybe also exist AC uninstaller that can run via terminal - in that case probably Java is not needed. Maybe someone who knows about terminal commands of ArchiCAD will write here, what is possible and what is not.
Barry Kelly
You can have many versions of Java installed at the same time.
I currently have versions 6, 7 & 8.

I am pretty sure Archicad only needs Java to install & uninstall - not to actually run Archicad - but I may have that wrong.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Podolsky
Ace
This information is not exact, I'm just guessing. Java needs only for installer interface. Maybe to show fancy pictures while installing - uninstalling. This why possible exist the ways how to install - uninstall using terminal without any graphical interface.
Tom Krowka
Booster
I guess there is no way to know for sure unless I just do it. But I wonder what would happen if I just deleted the call Archicad version folder from the directories.I wonder if that would be a complete uninstall or if that would cause some problems
Tom Krowka Architect
Thomas@wkarchwk.com
www.walshkrowka.com
Karl Ottenstein
Tom wrote:
I guess there is no way to know for sure unless I just do it. But I wonder what would happen if I just deleted the call Archicad version folder from the directories.I wonder if that would be a complete uninstall or if that would cause some problems
Just deleting the program folder under Windows will leave behind not only a ton of Registry entries, but also various folders here and there in the system. (With Mac, it is similar - Preference files, Application Support folders and more will be left on the system without running the uninstaller.)
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Tom Krowka
Booster
Thanks for the heads up Karl. TK.
Tom Krowka Architect
Thomas@wkarchwk.com
www.walshkrowka.com