Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Updating to AC25 and Monterey

baukunst
Contributor

I need some help, please. I have gotten way behind in not only the version of AC I'm running, but also my Mac and the OS, and I need to finally take the time to bring everything up to date, but have concerns. I've noticed a few posts relating to my question, but thought I'd post a new one.

I am currently running a late 2015 Fusion Drive iMac, 10.14.6 (Mojave). 3.3GHz, 1 Processor (Intel Core i5, 4 Cores, 16GB Memory. I am still using AC22. 

I want to finally update to AC25, but am not sure if I can go straight from 22 to 25 or if I should first do 23 and 24. I have older projects that I'd like to still be able to open, so I am not certain if I should do as I have over the years, open all projects in the new version of AC. I am going to keep my current iMac running just in case, but I worry that once I go to 25 and a new Mac that I won't be able to open AC on my current Mac.

I am looking at the Mac Studio, but would appreciate some advice as to others experience and recommendation of the M1 Max Processor or the M1 Ultra, and whether it's worth the extra money, including the extra 10 Cores? I've seen conflicting posts here on problems with AC25 and Monterey.

Thank you for reading.

Matthew

Bozeman, Montana

24 REPLIES 24

I do want the Studio, but GS is saying to wait for now.  So???  So, you should get one and let us know 🙂  

Rick Thompson
Mac Sonoma AC 26
http://www.thompsonplans.com
Mac M2 studio w/ display

I think I will get one anyway, there seems to be enough conflicting posts, but you say GS is saying no, and they should know.

For the last 20 years I have migrated, but this time I am going to re-install everything fresh and new, and only what I need. I think it may be part of my problem, things are just a bit of a mess.

I have to say that another big reason for me, and I suspect most of us, paying our yearly rate and still using 20... 22... 

Rick Thompson
Expert

Here is what GS said specifically when i asked about the Studio.  I am tempted too to just go ahead.  Please let me know your result when you get one.

>>>

As the Mac Studio computer is unproven in the market, and we haven't concluded our testing, it's not prudent to give a green light on recommending it.

That said, if it becomes approved by our testing and is proven in the market, below is the Mac Studio configuration that would likely be recommended for most Archicad users with one or two monitors/displays:

• Processor: Apple M1 Max with 10-core CPU, 24-core GPU, 16-core Neural Engine (A higher number of GPU cores would likely be unwarranted for most Archicad users using one or two monitors/displays)
  • Memory: 32 GB (Mid-range Archicad project size (Apartment and office buildings) and detail) or 64 GB (High-range Archicad project size (High rises, hospitals, campuses) and detail)
  • Storage: 1 TB or higher (Though a 512 GB machine may suit some users, a storage drive of 1 TB or higher in size will allow for numerous larger applications to be installed; keeping the storage drive from becoming overly full will maintain optimal performance)
Rick Thompson
Mac Sonoma AC 26
Mac M2 studio w/ display

Such a strange statement from GS… as if the box the components are in makes a difference (vs the MacBook Pro with the Max).

I do believe, but don’t know, that the 200$ step up to 32 graphics cores should speed up rendering, particularly with TwinMotion… so it is interesting that the quoted recommendation only referred to quantity of external monitors.

One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB

Karl is absolutely the person to listen to. I am going to get the Studio with obviously Monterey, and update to 25 and I will certainly let you know. It'll be a couple weeks by the time I receive the Studio and get it setup.

For what it's worth, I'm looking at the 32" LG monitor. I'd rather have one larger than two not as large monitors.

Screen Shot 2022-04-21 at 1.47.27 PM.png

@baukunst wrote:

Karl is absolutely the person to listen to. 

Very kind of you to say, but while safe to listen to me, I'm not always right, so don't necessarily pay attention to me 😂

AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Rick Thompson
Expert

For future reference and to follow up... I got this from support today.  There is more details should anyone need it>>>. 

The developers checked the issue again and determined it is a software error, which was introduced in Archicad 25. We entered a new defect DEF-8945 and hopefully, it will be fixed soon.

With regard to that Archicad 25 performance issue, the workaround you may implement in the meantime is to use the Prefs Editor application to change an Archicad 25 PLIST file value by the below procedure. This eliminates or greatly reduces the Archicad performance issue.

Rick Thompson
Mac Sonoma AC 26
Mac M2 studio w/ display

@Rick Thompson I've lost the context for your comments.   What issue is DEF-8945?  And what PLIST entry improves performance?