BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Updating to AC25 and Monterey

baukunst
Contributor

I need some help, please. I have gotten way behind in not only the version of AC I'm running, but also my Mac and the OS, and I need to finally take the time to bring everything up to date, but have concerns. I've noticed a few posts relating to my question, but thought I'd post a new one.

I am currently running a late 2015 Fusion Drive iMac, 10.14.6 (Mojave). 3.3GHz, 1 Processor (Intel Core i5, 4 Cores, 16GB Memory. I am still using AC22. 

I want to finally update to AC25, but am not sure if I can go straight from 22 to 25 or if I should first do 23 and 24. I have older projects that I'd like to still be able to open, so I am not certain if I should do as I have over the years, open all projects in the new version of AC. I am going to keep my current iMac running just in case, but I worry that once I go to 25 and a new Mac that I won't be able to open AC on my current Mac.

I am looking at the Mac Studio, but would appreciate some advice as to others experience and recommendation of the M1 Max Processor or the M1 Ultra, and whether it's worth the extra money, including the extra 10 Cores? I've seen conflicting posts here on problems with AC25 and Monterey.

Thank you for reading.

Matthew

Bozeman, Montana

24 REPLIES 24
Rick Thompson
Expert

Yeah, that was referenced briefly in the top post of mine. .. basically AC was running so slow I was creating errors clicking before the last action entered and set.  My test with GS was just drawing lines.  One line was ok, then the next (and next/next etc) I'd move the curser, to the the end point and wait, with balls spinning often.  Everything was really slow.. selecting an object, rotating an object, wall, slab.... etc.  FrameWindow>SmoothTabBarNavigation>isCaptureEnabled   The fix was unchecking the last one.  And fix it it did, not that I have worked that much since then, but initially back to normal for me (AC20/Serria).  I had done the same test in AC24 and it was better.  They had me do sudo samples with screen captures.  It's a big relief for me as I am happy with my iMac and don't want to spend asnymore money right now.  Jumping from 20 to 25 was more than enough for awhile 🙂 

Rick Thompson
Mac Sonoma AC 26
http://www.thompsonplans.com
Mac M2 studio w/ display

Thanks!  That could help others in the same boat 🙂

One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB

My Studio arrived last week and it's been a hair pulling week getting everything up and running, I'm sure partly due to myself. I ran AC22 for the week, mostly because I wasn't ready to deal with the jump from 22 to 25, but also because I was working out other kinks in the move from Mojave to Monterey. Yesterday I finally downloaded 25 and right away had issues, again, probably due mostly to me. I think it had something to do with Legacy mode or the new mode, but my model was completely whacked, I mean so messed up that I closed it and reopened from another copy of the 22 model. It was better, but my sections are now messed up. I am going to go back to 22 and get some work done and figure out what's going on later, which will probably mean months from now. This is all beyond frustrating, it should just work.

There was mention of some people having a whining noise from the Mac Studio, which I haven't encountered, so that's good, but I am having these other issues that I just don't have time to figure out. 

Sorry to hear this.  After support had me change a plist setting I have been back to normal with my iMac (2017) and Monterey.  I am staying put till I have to move though:)

Rick Thompson
Mac Sonoma AC 26
http://www.thompsonplans.com
Mac M2 studio w/ display

Thank you, Rick. This is maddening. I love my Mac and I love AC, but this is, in my mind just plain wrong. I have Apple issues as well. I have no doubt that I am doing/did something wrong, I just don't know what. In the meantime I have gone back to 22 and it seems just fine and I can get back to getting drawings done. I will say that other than my Apple issues, including some .mac ones, I do like the Studio. I got an LG monitor instead of the Apple monitor, which I am not loving the interface, it is a nice screen, though the matte finish is problematic, I do like it better than the shiny Apple monitors of the last 15(?) years. 

Again, I'm sure I must be missing something, but I'd stay put for awhile. If my productivity doesn't get better today I may go back to my iMac and Mojave/AC22. If I do stay on the Studio, I'll let you know how it works over the next week, or so. 

Pardon my confusion on which "Reply" to click, I can't even figure that out sometimes. Perhaps I should just bake bread and forget all this stress.

Have a good day.

Learn and get certified!