I need some help, please. I have gotten way behind in not only the version of AC I'm running, but also my Mac and the OS, and I need to finally take the time to bring everything up to date, but have concerns. I've noticed a few posts relating to my question, but thought I'd post a new one.
I am currently running a late 2015 Fusion Drive iMac, 10.14.6 (Mojave). 3.3GHz, 1 Processor (Intel Core i5, 4 Cores, 16GB Memory. I am still using AC22.
I want to finally update to AC25, but am not sure if I can go straight from 22 to 25 or if I should first do 23 and 24. I have older projects that I'd like to still be able to open, so I am not certain if I should do as I have over the years, open all projects in the new version of AC. I am going to keep my current iMac running just in case, but I worry that once I go to 25 and a new Mac that I won't be able to open AC on my current Mac.
I am looking at the Mac Studio, but would appreciate some advice as to others experience and recommendation of the M1 Max Processor or the M1 Ultra, and whether it's worth the extra money, including the extra 10 Cores? I've seen conflicting posts here on problems with AC25 and Monterey.
Thank you for reading.
Nothing about putting 25 on a new Mac will stop your old Mac from opening versions of AC compatible with it. I would stick with Mojave on the old mac so that you can run old versions if needed since older versions will not run properly on Monterey. You'll likely just keep the 2015 iMac in a closet for those purposes as it will feel painfully slow compared to a new Mac.
There is no real need to install 23 and 24 unless you work with someone who is using those versions. 25 will open all of the AC22 files. The Migration Libraries with 25 "should" migrate your old files - but if not, post here to see if the issue is one that would require migrating through AC24. (AC23 is not compatible with Monterey.)
The Mac Studio is an excellent value. This Graphisoft article gives some benchmarks comparing the M1 Max to the Intel chip in a 2017 iMac 5k which will help you:
Consider that this is running AC25 in Rosetta 2 emulation mode. When AC 26 eventually become available with an ARM version for the M1 processors, performance should be considerably better.
If money is no object at all, then the M1 Ultra could be worth considering, but it seems like a tough call to me with diminishing returns for Archicad for doubling the price. Rendering would likely see the biggest bump. And, since M2 processors are on the horizon (supply chain permitting) as well as other new Macs, the M1 Max Studio might be the sweet spot for now?? Crystal ball time. Consider, too, that you need funds to purchase a decent monitor since your 2015 iMac does not support target display mode.
Thank you Karl. You can obviously disregard the email I sent you earlier. I think I follow your response, but you know how I am with much of this stuff, it makes my head swim which is why I'm still on a 2015 iMac running Mojave and 22. I have to do something now though with all the beachballs and such that I contend with during the day.
Yes, my plan is to keep my current machine to the side and have just in case. My concern was though, and I may not fully understand, but I thought once I update my dongle to 25 that it won't work on my current machine. I doubt I'd need to do any saves, just view older projects, but having the ability would be nice. So, I wasn't sure about the dongle once I move to a new iMac and Monterey.
I understand I need to get a monitor as well and am looking at a 32" LG. I usually get about 6 years on an iMac before I need to get a new one and it's something I need to do soon and I just want to make sure I'm not making a move that will cause me problems with a drawings deadline coming up.
Thank you for your time. I hope you're well and managing with this crap weather we're having. April is my least favorite month.
Your dongle isn't tied to any particular machine. It can be used on any machine, Mac or Windows, to authorize any release of Archicad equal to or less than your current license.
I'm good enough, for Montana April weather - my mood definitely follows the temperature swings, high/no wind, snow/drifting/gone patterns! 🙂 Hope you're well, too.
I thought I remembered years ago that there was an issue with a dongle and the machine and AC version and once you updated you couldn't open older projects, but I was mistaken. I'm being careful making this move and I don't want to get myself in a jam. I've been in my own world the last few years, like most of us, and I feel I've lost touch with the AC community and the inner workings of all this hardware and software. As you mentioned, as is my plan, to keep my current machine in the corner for just in case scenarios until I feel good about it all. I'll deal with 26 next winter.
I'm with you on mood following the weather. This wind has been relentless. Every April I swear the next April I'm not going to be here for this weather.
I am clearly an outliner, but there may be others not posting. I am on a 2017 iMac and was running 20. I have been using AC since 4.5.. did beta testing for years.. etc .. and this "upgrade" has been a disaster. I'd give anything to have waited till GS gets AC ported for the new Mac chips.
I have spent hours running data samples with videos calls and sending them to support, and they have been great.. but still no solution in over a month. It is seeming more likely I need to do a clean install to purge my particular system and start from that. However, that's the last thing I want to attempt. Maybe I should just get over it and do that. I thought about getting the Studio, but that is not yet "approved" by GS. My main issue is it runs so sluggishly that I constantly have to make myself slow down. Just selecting anything (object, slab, wall.. etc) can be to the point I have to hover over it and wait. I too often think I have something "eyedroppered" only to then start a floor slab rather than having picked up an object, or dimension setting. If I want to draw a simple line, I'll click and move to where i want it to go, and wait. I get spinning balls often.
So, I hate to be a downer, but I would not wish my experience on anyone. I could very easily be the only one having this issue (my unique garbage), but something is not right yet with AC and Monterey it seems.
Hi Rick. What you wrote is basically exactly where I am and want to be careful moving forward. I have a difficult time being productive during the day, beach balls etc, and finally decided I had had enough. I saw enough posts here yesterday saying contradictory things that I created a new post this morning and ask for help and advice. Karl and I live in the same town and know each other through AC over the years, and I have found that Karl is always spot on.
So I don't understand the contradictory issues folks are having with 25 and Monterey, and the Mac it's running on. Yesterday I ran a bunch of tests on my machine and I found that my problems completely came down to... the Processors, I believe that was the main culprit, but I get confused, but I think you and I are currently running basically the same machine. Mine's a year older, but with my limited knowledge of the hardware, I think close to the same.
Yeah.. I have to believe what support is telling me in that others with the same basic Mac don't have this issue.. that I am aware of... but???? I have used migration assistant for years, and as support said.. garbage in.. garbage out. So, maybe it boils down to stuff deep down in the OS. I wish others would post if they don't have issues with an older iMac and 25/Monterey. At this point I'd trade one of my grandkids to be back on this same machine and AC20/Sierra.
The number of cores I think is also one of my issues, that's why I am thinking the Studio. The iMac Pro is way too much to consider purchasing and the current iMac is not only a 24" screen, smaller than I'd like, but they've also made some changes to the iMac line that I am making the change to the Studio.
I think I will get one anyway, there seems to be enough conflicting posts, but you say GS is saying no, and they should know.
For the last 20 years I have migrated, but this time I am going to re-install everything fresh and new, and only what I need. I think it may be part of my problem, things are just a bit of a mess.
Here is what GS said specifically when i asked about the Studio. I am tempted too to just go ahead. Please let me know your result when you get one.
As the Mac Studio computer is unproven in the market, and we haven't concluded our testing, it's not prudent to give a green light on recommending it.
That said, if it becomes approved by our testing and is proven in the market, below is the Mac Studio configuration that would likely be recommended for most Archicad users with one or two monitors/displays:
Such a strange statement from GS… as if the box the components are in makes a difference (vs the MacBook Pro with the Max).
I do believe, but don’t know, that the 200$ step up to 32 graphics cores should speed up rendering, particularly with TwinMotion… so it is interesting that the quoted recommendation only referred to quantity of external monitors.
For future reference and to follow up... I got this from support today. There is more details should anyone need it>>>.
The developers checked the issue again and determined it is a software error, which was introduced in Archicad 25. We entered a new defect DEF-8945 and hopefully, it will be fixed soon.
With regard to that Archicad 25 performance issue, the workaround you may implement in the meantime is to use the Prefs Editor application to change an Archicad 25 PLIST file value by the below procedure. This eliminates or greatly reduces the Archicad performance issue.