BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Upgrade from ArchiCAD 8.1

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have ArchiCAD 8.1 wich I bought for a project years ago when it was the latest version. I have not used it since, as I am not working as a professional architect.
In the next few months I will start working on a new project and I am wondering if I should upgrade or switch to the START edition. I do not need collaboration features and probably will not use the program after finishing the project. One concern is that the new version might be harder to learn than 8.1.
If I keep 8.1, will it run in a XP VM or might I get problems (dongle driver, slow speed ...)?
Your thoughts are very much appreciated.
2 REPLIES 2
Karl Ottenstein
It will run fine in an XP VM... assuming your host machine is reasonable.

While there have been great advances since 8.1 (which was a solid version once all updates were applied), spending $2k+ on a new version and learning all of the changes from 8.1 doesn't sound productive to me if you don't anticipate a subsequent project, and your current project is something you readily see how to do in 8.1.

While GS themselves have this Wiki page listing the new features in each version textually:
http://www.archicadwiki.com/ArchiCAD%20versions?highlight=%28versions%29

Jared Banks recently posted a link to this excellent visual list of features from Graphisoft Connect in the UK that lets you pick an earlier version (only as early as 10 though) and see everything that has been added in the current version. (Not all changes are of course listed ... 100's of small things don't make the 'big picture' lists.)

http://www.gsconnect.co.uk/calculator.php

If your current project is quite involved / detailed, then you may find that there are enough new features to justify the expense and learning time.
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you very much for the advice, Karl. I will stick with 8.1.
Learn and get certified!