BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Upgrade to less-than-current version of AC?

Anonymous
Not applicable
I am sort of in the same boat and considering upgrading because I'm so frustrated with the slowness at which my computer renders 3D objects. I recreate historic architectural elements from old photographs or fragments of historic objects (and they have to be extremely accurate because they become working/shop drawings for fabricators)... and the beach ball gets a lot of play on my computer. But, like Dave, the price tag for the brand spanking new Archicad is something my little company can't afford.
How do you upgrade to a new old version (like 15)? Will the WIBU key that I have now allow 15 to work? Is this a no-no?
One of the reasons I stopped upgrading is that converting files to a new version was such a nightmare. My projects are on the boards for years ... I tried the upgrade thing twice and it was such a disaster that I stopped.

I'm unclear as to whether it's my computer that's slow or what. I will be extremely frustrated if I go through the whole new computer/upgrade Archicad and have the same problems.

Any insights or comments are appreciated.
17 REPLIES 17
Anonymous
Not applicable
For instance - is it kosher to buy AC 15 from this vendor (or another vendor like them)?

[moderator deleted]

Then do you buy something from Graphisoft that changes your WIBU key?

And is 15 the version I should be considering? Are there other versions that provide better support for what I do? (Modeling historic objects in detail ...)

Or am I going down the wrong path altogether?
Karl Ottenstein
What are your graphics card specs - model, amount of memory? That's the main thing for OpenGL.
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Karl Ottenstein
mc0m wrote:
For instance - is it kosher to buy AC 15 from this vendor (or another vendor like them)?

[moderator deleted]

Then do you buy something from Graphisoft that changes your WIBU key?

And is 15 the version I should be considering? Are there other versions that provide better support for what I do? (Modeling historic objects in detail ...)

Or am I going down the wrong path altogether?
That has to be illegal software at that price, or else they are over-charging for the free-to-all software but without a WIBU/Codemeter license key. Since the software is delivered digitally, it is most likely 'cracked' to run without a keyplug = illegal. When so-called 'cracked' software is installed, it typically will not be recognized by the update procedures from Graphisoft and so no hotfixes can be applied, leaving you with whatever bugs exist in the (illegal) version obtained.

Only Graphisoft can upgrade your WIBU/Codemeter key to work with any newer version of AC...and I'm not aware of any offer that they have to do a partial upgrade. They would upgrade you to 17... and then you could choose to use 15 (key is valid for any lower version at all times).

You can bug a legal key (new keyplug) from a licensed owner of AC 15... but then if you ever want to upgrade in the future, that other key has to be re-registered in your name with Graphisoft involving a steep 'transfer fee'.
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
Karl wrote:
What are your graphics card specs - model, amount of memory? That's the main thing for OpenGL.
Graphics card: ATI Radeon HD 5870 1024 MB

Open GL vs. Internal engine. I tried the internal engine to see if maybe it is faster, but that was not so good and very pixelly.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Karl wrote:
That has to be illegal software at that price, or else they are over-charging for the free-to-all software but without a WIBU/Codemeter license key. Since the software is delivered digitally, it is most likely 'cracked' to run without a keyplug = illegal. When so-called 'cracked' software is installed, it typically will not be recognized by the update procedures from Graphisoft and so no hotfixes can be applied, leaving you with whatever bugs exist in the (illegal) version obtained.

Only Graphisoft can upgrade your WIBU/Codemeter key to work with any newer version of AC...and I'm not aware of any offer that they have to do a partial upgrade. They would upgrade you to 17... and then you could choose to use 15 (key is valid for any lower version at all times).

You can bug a legal key (new keyplug) from a licensed owner of AC 15... but then if you ever want to upgrade in the future, that other key has to be re-registered in your name with Graphisoft involving a steep 'transfer fee'.
Now I am totally depressed.
Karl Ottenstein
mc0m wrote:
Graphics card: ATI Radeon HD 5870 1024 MB
You should have no problems at all with this card and the other machine specs that you list.

Either your model has an incredible number of polygons and/or solid element operations... or the improvements in 3D performance in versions after 12 may account for why I have no issues with a similar configuration.

If you do not have the PolyCount "goodie" installed... go to the Help menu and download/install it (you'll have to restart AC to have it show up in your Windows menu). With your 3D window open, launch PolyCount and report back with a screenshot of the numbers you see.

Since you do historic buildings, it seems likely that you may have modeled some intricate details "too well". 😉 This will let us all know what's happening.

As for upgrades... it sounds like your practice is a solo one - e.g., no TeamWork - and so another option for upgrades for you is the Start Edition. Best to contact your reseller to see what options that can offer. I gather that prices are going up again after the end of this month.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Karl,

As always thank you for your insights. I've attached the image of the polycount window.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Just talked to Kevin at Graphisoft and after explaining to him what I am trying to do (modeling components in very high detail) he said that the morph tool would really help me. I'm building everything now with complex profile and profiler. So, I need to research this morph tool.
Karl Ottenstein
Glad you talked with Kevin! Hard to say on the Morph Tool. I agree it will help make historical details much more easily... but it can also help you add more polygons to your model. 🙂

Where it will help is in smoothing/hiding edges that would otherwise be visible in prior tools... thus allowing fewer polygons to look acceptable.

My models are much more lightweight than yours, and ArchiCAD does not handle large numbers of polygons well at all. (Other 3D programs, such as Artlantis, can handle a much larger number of polygons with ease.)

For example, attached is the PolyCount output for a recent home remodel (shell and terrain only)... 1/26th of the number of polygons in your model. Totally zippy in 3D.

If you click the flippy triangle in your PolyCount window in front of Object, you can find out WHICH objects are using so many polygons and begin to study ways of reducing total polygons when you work in 3D. The easiest method of course is to have layer combinations that completely turn off elements that are not visible (e.g., if those columns and curved wall are interior elements and not seen from exterior views... and the columns turn out to be high poly, turn 'em off in your exterior view combo). Or, make lower polygon versions of some elements. Unless your virtual camera is right in front of something... or you're going to create a 2":1' detail... there is no need for polygonal perfection.
Learn and get certified!