Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Using 2 screens

KeesW
Advocate
I am using AC24 on a PC with a single 27" high definition Dell Screen and it seems to work well enough. However, I have 2 similiar vintage High Def 24" Dell screens and wondering if I should connect these and run a 2 screen system. What do I need to run 2 screens? and what are the advantages and disadvantages? Also, would a single 32" screen work as well as using 2 screens?
Cornelis (Kees) Wegman

cornelis wegman architects
AC 5 - 26 Dell XPS 8940 Win 10 16GB 1TB SSD 2TB HD RTX 3070 GPU
Laptop: AC 24 - 26 Win 10 16GB 1TB SSD RTX 3070 GPU
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable
Personally I hate working on multiple screens, always seem to be losing mouse and dialogs etc always seem to open on the other screen to where I’m working. I got rid of dual 24” screens and replaced with single 4K 32” screen and much happier, if I need to view multiple programs on screen at a time I just use the tiling that is built into windows

Regards
Scott
Podolsky
Ace
I personally loosing myself in front of too large screens. They also have some light radiation to my face - so I'm getting digital sun bathing. I noticed I like to squeeze myself to small lop-tops and tablets - and do all work there. You know, it's like being jeweller. I've got strange feeling, when sitting in front big screens - like I'm in some sort of plane or car looking to the windows, that actually disconnects me from real world. Some people like this effect - especially with gaming.

Modern screens are very nice. Yes you can have two screens for ArchiCAD - then you can rearrange your workspace to have let say floor plan on one screen and section or 3D on second. Or you can open all toolboxes, palettes - anything you need, and collect all this stuff on one monitor - keeping second totally clear for drafting.
There are also new screens today - like one long screen, that combines two (but actually it's one screen).
Another interesting solution is MS Surface Studio. It's 28 inch high-res totally touchscreen display that you can operate with a pen. It's returning to the pre-computer age of drafting boards - that was actually much better then this typical gaming mode with mouse, keyboard, chair and panoramic screens all around.
There are actually two issues here. You definitely should have two screens for productivity reasons. However, you should not be running Archicad over two screens. One screen is used for ancillary programs (email, spreadsheets, web pages, etc.) One screen for Archicad. I actually run Archicad on a 43" screen (UHD - 4K TV) and have a 27" monitor next to it. Not having to zoom in and out so much speeds things up dramatically, and for older eyes, is much more comfortable. Given that a 43" TV is likely the same price as a 27" monitor, it's worth considering.
Richard
--------------------------
Richard Morrison, Architect-Interior Designer
AC26 (since AC6.0), Win10
vistasp
Advisor
Richard wrote:
There are actually two issues here. You definitely should have two screens for productivity reasons. However, you should not be running Archicad over two screens. One screen is used for ancillary programs (email, spreadsheets, web pages, etc.) One screen for Archicad. I actually run Archicad on a 43" screen (UHD - 4K TV) and have a 27" monitor next to it. Not having to zoom in and out so much speeds things up dramatically, and for older eyes, is much more comfortable. Given that a 43" TV is likely the same price as a 27" monitor, it's worth considering.
+1 to what Richard said, except that I use a 32" primary monitor and a 27" secondary. I find the secondary screen useful for images or data that I need to refer to while working.

Whether you use one ultra-wide screen or multiple monitors, Windows Powertoys gives you the ability to snap applications to preset zones.
= v i s t a s p =
bT Square Peg
https://archicadstuff.blogspot.com
https://www.btsquarepeg.com
| AC 9-27 INT | Win11 | Ryzen 5700 | 32 GB | RTX 3050 |
Karl Ottenstein
Also +1 to Richard. My main screen is 27" (retina 5120 x 2880) and secondary is an old 24" (1920 x 1200).
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
jl_lt
Ace
Im very used to working in laptops because i like to work only on what my sight range can cover without moving my head, other wise i could get dizzy, but i always wondered what people do on both screens.So its actually more of working solely in archicad in one screen and all the other stuff can be in another screen so you never have to switch on software tabs, right?
mikas
Expert
I've been used to a 49" 5120x1440 monitor, but that got too small for me, so I just recently added a 27" next to it. For me it helps to work with AC, Rhino and Grasshopper simultaneously, maybe Solibri too, plus I get to see my email, calendar and system monitoring tools too all the time with that extra 27 incher.

I do have to use reading glasses, so the viewing distance and pixel density is of matter with me.

Maybe I want one more monitor still. But I might need to think about some more desk area for these first 😉
AC25, Rhino6/7+Grasshopper, TwinMotionMac Pro 6,1 E5-1650v2-3,5GHz/128GB/eGPU:6800XT/11.6.5 • HP Z4/Xeon W-2195/256GB/RX6800XT/W10ProWS
Podolsky
Ace
You are happy man, have such big screens;))
Nader Belal
Mentor
@KeesW
Actually it's a personal taste issue, but it happens that most of the people preferer a >+1 screens, mainly because they cycle less often between different windows, and the bigger screen real estate available for work. the issues that are need to be addressed for this type of work configuration are:

1. It's preferable that all screens are of the same manufacturers and the same model.
2. Make sure that your graphics card can handle the full graphical load.
3. Connect one screen to the UPS, just in case of a power cut and you need to save your work and close running programs.

About screen size, well that will depend on you, and what feels more confortable, but the most important is that the better screen you have the less strained is you eyes and the more you enjoy your work.

Just an advise, in case of screens:
1. Avoid gaming monitors, they were built for a different use scenario.
2. Buy a decent colour accurate monitor.

Anyway, if you're still hesitant, I may propose that you get a cheap 2nd hand used monitor to test the idea working with a multiple screen configuration, and if it works for you.

And finally I advise you to visit this site to help you out to sort your needs in case you will settle on multiple monitor configuration, it's the best I have found available on the internet
https://www.rtings.com/
A good friend of mine have once told me that I´m so brute that I´m capable of creating a GDL script capable of creating GDLs.