BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Vanishing cursor: bug?

Anonymous
Not applicable
This strange phenomenon happens to both me and my colleagues with annoying frequency:

In a model view, the cursor suddenly seems to turn off. The mouse position is visible, but the frame of the drawing window or marquee is invisible. Icons at snap points disappear, and dimension marks don't appear when clicked. Anchor points of walls or fills don't appear - although you can still draw them if you're prepared to work 'blind'.

I find that, if I open a layout and then go back to the model, the problem has gone away.

It seems to happen when I'm doing a lot of stuff in a hurry. A lot of zooming in and out. Could I be inadvertently clicking a short-cut that invokes this effect? Or is it a bug? Does this happen to anyone else?

Keith

AC11 on
MAC 0S 10.4.8
12 REPLIES 12
Thomas Holm
Booster
The S key is the shortcut for Grid Snap. Looks like that's your problem.
AC4.1-AC26SWE; MacOS13.5.1; MP5,1+MBP16,1
Anonymous
Not applicable
I have it happen more than once... (3D window - perspective mode / Open GL).

From what I've been testing lately, the frequency seems to depend on the amount of SEO that were used in the project. The more I have my plans detailed with wall-slab-roof intersections, the more I get this behaviour.

I always save, quit and re-open to solve this...................temporary.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thomas wrote:
The S key is the shortcut for Grid Snap. Looks like that's your problem.
No Thomas - I've experienced that one as well, and have removed the shortcut to the grid snap. This is different. Zoom window disappears as well.

- K
Anonymous
Not applicable
I have seen this occasionally on Windows but not on Mac. In those cases it seemed to be a display driver issue.
Anonymous
Not applicable
I don't think it was ever a problem in Release 10
Laura Yanoviak
Advocate
Keith wrote:
I don't think it was ever a problem in Release 10
It's happened to me sporadically (maybe 6 times in 3 years) using AC9, AC10, and AC11.
MacBook Pro Apple M2 Max, 96 GB of RAM
AC26 US (5002) on Mac OS Ventura 13.5
sarahric
Contributor
Any update on this. I'm using 16 and having this problem more and more. Restarting projects 5 or 6 times a day.
Have recently updated the graphics driver.
ArchiCAD 18/Windows 7/16GB Memory/i5 3.2GHz Processor/NVIDIA GeForce GT 610
Streamline JG
Beginner
We are having a very similar issue, also happens when working rather quickly with lots of zooming and panning in plan view.

Specifically, the cursor tends to turn into the "hand" icon permanently, and therefore doesn't show snap icons/etc.

The only workaround I have found is to open the 3D window and pan the 3D view around. Then the cursor returns to normal in 2D. Sounds like a simple fix, but I often don't have a 3D window activated and it takes several seconds to bring one up. It happens several times a day and is one of several bugs in AC16 that has had a huge negative impact on our productivity.
NCornia
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
You may want to visit Options/Work Environment/Advanced Redraw Options and adjust your settings. Often disabling antialiasing in 2D will help or
increasing the amount of Hardware acceleration (learn more here).

If you have Trace Reference enabled, please refer to this article: http://www.archicadwiki.com/Troubleshooting/SlowTraceReference

Lastly, you should try saving your current Work Environment and then use the Standard Profile 16 to see if that clears up the issue.
Applying Work Environment Profiles

HTH
Nicholas Cornia
Technical Support Team - GRAPHISOFT North America
ARCHICAD on Twitter
Tutorials
GRAPHISOFT Help Center
Learn and get certified!