Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.
SOLVED!

Ventura bugs

Rick Thompson
Expert

Since updating to Ventura (wrong move it seems) some pln's, but not all, crash selecting print setup via MacOS.  I haven't tried via Publisher since via Mac is easier. This is a major bug for me as I need to open several pln's each day and print pdf sets. If I can select the paper size and orientation I'm screwed.  I have sent many bug reports in via Bug Reporter.  

Also having an issue with Drawing Manager not showing up.  By default I have it to open (WE setup) in #2 display, but it's not there eve though it is selected.  Refreshing WE does nothing.  I need to go into Window>Pallet and uncheck it, then recheck it.  Fixable, but what a waste of time.  Again, I open many pln's each day.

This is in AC 25 and 26

Anyone else having these issues?  

Rick Thompson
Mac Sonoma AC 26
http://www.thompsonplans.com
Mac M2 studio w/ display
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Rick Thompson
Expert

I received this from Support and it resolved the Print Setup issue>>>

Try this procedure to help with page setup crashes:

First quit all sessions of Archicad.
Then open Terminal, copy & paste the content below 1st Line) then hit enter, repeat for content below 2nd Line).

1st Line)
/usr/libexec/PlistBuddy -c "set ':PrintPlot:Discard Print Settings' 4" "/Users/rickthompson/Library/Preferences/com.graphisoft.AC 26.0.0 USA v1.plist"
2nd Line)
/usr/libexec/PlistBuddy -c "set ':PrintPlot:Discard Print Settings' 4" "/Users/rickthompson/Library/Preferences/com.graphisoft.AC-ARM 26.0.0 USA v1.plist"

Hopefully you will not see any errors.  I think you may have had a syntax issue with the two parts of the command.

Once those are entered properly, run through these steps:
3. Launch Archicad.
4. Open the plan file that crashes Archicad at Page Setup.
5. Open Page Setup. We believe it should not crash with the above setting.
6. Save the plan file.
7. Quit Archicad.

Lastly launch I Archicad again, open a blank Archicad Template file and/or a different problem file and test for the page setup crash.

Rick Thompson
Mac Sonoma AC 26
Mac M2 studio w/ display

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
mthd
Mentor

I am new to Mac, I have Monterey but my system wants to update to Ventura but I am even more cautious about doing that now.

Thank you for your post and the problems you are experiencing and I hope they can iron them out for you.

AC8.1 - AC27 ARM AUS + CI Tools
Apple Mac Studio M1 Max Chip 10C CPU
24C GPU 7.8TF 32GB RAM OS Ventura

Have you updated your printer driver? Also if you uncheck the options for your second screen to act as a space if its on that may resolve your palette issue. 

Lee Hankins
ArchiCAD 4.5 - Archicad 27UKI Apple Silicon 27.1.1
macOS Sonoma (14.2)

Thanks for the reply.  I got this from support>>> "In the last few weeks, we have seen multiple cases where clients using macOS Ventura experience crashes when opening Page Setup to switch to a different page size.  We haven't narrowed this down to an Archicad bug or a problem with a recent operating system update.  In most instances, using the publisher as a workaround allowed easy output."

So, it's not just me.  I deleted the physical printer and that did not help, but it's completely random.  Sometime (file) I can select the paper size, others I crash it.  I did manage to crash Filemaker just now experimenting, so it seems like a Ventura issue.  

Where are you seeing the display option check box?  I don't see it in WE?

Rick Thompson
Mac Sonoma AC 26
Mac M2 studio w/ display

If you go to System Preferences then select 'Desktop and Dock' from the side menu and then scroll to the bottom and uncheck 'Displays Have Separate Spaces', this may overcome your palette issue.Screenshot 2023-01-13 at 11.05.46.png

Graphisoft have also just released the Ventura Compatibility Update for AC26 so it may be worth installing that and see if it improves anything. I suspect it is an OS issue though. We use a Xerox printer and have not experienced any crashes at all when selecting the Page Setup.

Lee Hankins
macOS Sonoma (14.2)

Thanks Lee.. I looked all over for that 🙂 I have tried 26 and it's the same issue.  Interesting about Xerox and not having issues.  Mine is random and I have uninstalled the print driver for the Brother I was using.  Some files are fine, other not.  I'll try your suggestion later today.  Once I uncheck Drawing manager and recheck it is stay put... at least.

Rick Thompson
Mac Sonoma AC 26
Mac M2 studio w/ display

Thanks for the suggestion but it made no difference.. I think 🙂  I opened a file and the Drawing Manager was missing.  I changed the setting/logged out/in etc.. no difference.  I then put the setting back to separate spaces (logged out/in).  Opened the same file and it showed up.  Maybe my OS is haunted.

Rick Thompson
Mac Sonoma AC 26
Mac M2 studio w/ display

Just FYI, turning this setting off also disables Stage Manager. 

Lee Hankins
macOS Sonoma (14.2)
Solution
Rick Thompson
Expert

I received this from Support and it resolved the Print Setup issue>>>

Try this procedure to help with page setup crashes:

First quit all sessions of Archicad.
Then open Terminal, copy & paste the content below 1st Line) then hit enter, repeat for content below 2nd Line).

1st Line)
/usr/libexec/PlistBuddy -c "set ':PrintPlot:Discard Print Settings' 4" "/Users/rickthompson/Library/Preferences/com.graphisoft.AC 26.0.0 USA v1.plist"
2nd Line)
/usr/libexec/PlistBuddy -c "set ':PrintPlot:Discard Print Settings' 4" "/Users/rickthompson/Library/Preferences/com.graphisoft.AC-ARM 26.0.0 USA v1.plist"

Hopefully you will not see any errors.  I think you may have had a syntax issue with the two parts of the command.

Once those are entered properly, run through these steps:
3. Launch Archicad.
4. Open the plan file that crashes Archicad at Page Setup.
5. Open Page Setup. We believe it should not crash with the above setting.
6. Save the plan file.
7. Quit Archicad.

Lastly launch I Archicad again, open a blank Archicad Template file and/or a different problem file and test for the page setup crash.

Rick Thompson
Mac Sonoma AC 26
Mac M2 studio w/ display