Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Ventura

Ventura is out on Monday, so here we go again:

https://community.Graphisoft.com/t5/Setup-License-articles/macOS-and-Archicad/ta-p/303978

Graphisoft's macOS support remains self-indulgently cringe. No, it's not normal for app devs to demand a six-month delay in using the current OS. The dev previews have been available for 4 months.

People 1) buy new computers, 2) want new OS features, 3) have other software which may require a current OS, 4) update by accident, 5) use windows PCs without this nonsense.

Apple Silicon has been out for two years.

Kindly update this advice in serious consideration of your users' needs.

James Murray

Archicad 25 • Rill Architects • macOS • OnLand.info
28 REPLIES 28

Thanks for the explanation Lee

Steve Campbell
Booster

How Vectorworks communicates about MacOS upgrades for comparison:

https://forum.vectorworks.net/index.php?/articles.html/articles/tech-bulletins/apple-macos-13-ventur...

And Vectorworks have had a version running natively on Apple Silicon since Fall 2021.

I’ve installed Ventura, installed Archicad 26 with no issues that I have noticed. I have also opened it up and had a play around and haven’t found any issue so far. I haven’t looked at Teamwork or pushed the performance in any way but initial use is positive. Obviously I can’t suggest everyone upgrade especially on live fee generating work. 

Lee Hankins
ArchiCAD 4.5 - Archicad 27UKI Apple Silicon 27.1.1
macOS Sonoma (14.2)

Do you mean, you have installed the RC version of Ventura?

timdelheyeian
Booster

Thank you James for pointing this out! 

I would add to your list that those of us who are serious users are also looking for performance from our hardware and software, and Graphisoft will have you know that you should use a contemporary and powerful setup to run their apps smoothly. Therefore, getting folks to hold off on hardware and software upgrades is completely counterintuitive. While we can agree that Apple may change specs with new releases (vs. pre-releases) I feel that a 6-month delay for safe OS updates is just unreasonable, and the now 2-1/2-year delay for an AppleSilicon version flat out unacceptable. I have shared this view with GS here in the U.S. and even find that their staff is sympathetic. For a software company that prides itself on listening to its user base, and was on the Mac long before it came to Windows, I sure hope that we see a change as the current attitude towards macOS and hardware upgrades flat out stinks. 

Certified Passive House Designer
ArchiCAD 26 (started with v4)
MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2021), Apple M1 Max, 64 GB, 32-core graphics

Graphisoft is also clearly relying on people ignoring their advice and running on AC26 on Ventura to identify any unknown issues. I don't know about other firms, but we really don't have the option to do free testing for Graphisoft on non-fee generating work. Our only option would be to move billable work to AC26 on Ventura.

I’ve upgraded my working Mac to Ventura so watch this space. I’ll post any potential issues I find. 

Lee Hankins
macOS Sonoma (14.2)

And let's remind ourselves that they are both coming from the same company: Nemetschek! 

Certified Passive House Designer
ArchiCAD 26 (started with v4)
MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2021), Apple M1 Max, 64 GB, 32-core graphics

I’ve installed the official release. 

Lee Hankins
macOS Sonoma (14.2)

Thanks!

I did it yesterday. I have a minor issue with the numeric input within the Tracker and Dimensions Dialog. Comma is sometimes lost

All in all is Ok.