BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

General discussions
Posts about job ads, news about competitions, events, learning resources, research, etc.

Video Tutorial - Switch from Autocad to Archicad

hi all,

I am looking for a video tutorial that introduces Archicad to Autocad users - something between 30 to 90 minutes. It should enable a Autocad user to do "exactly" the same 2D things in Archicad he/she has done in Autocad. Or at least it should eliminate the fear of learning this new (awsome) tool ... by referencing as much as possible back to Autocad functionality.

Here a rough sketch we have done once to ease the switch:
(I know its not 1:1 but it should give you a fast orientation.)

Any hint/ link for such a video would be very appreciated.

BR, Florian
AC24 4018 INT, Win10, Quadro P2000, Xeon, BIMCloud
2 REPLIES 2
jl_lt
Ace
Hi Mr. Lohberger, i havent seen such a video. What is the target demographic you are aiming at? While i commend the effort i think it has to be carefully done because, while there are some similiraties (like layers), creating expectation of Archicad working like Autocad could hinder the learning progress. Personally, i ask the people that comes to work with us that are new to Archicad to forget anything they think they know about Autocad or Revit.
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
I'd recommend getting good training for about a week, regardless of any software background, if you are new to ArchiCAD.

We've had that for new colleagues and interns alike and they are so much more productive after a week training than having a look at some online videos or having someone else teaching along their work.

Professional training saves time and money in the long run.

Get a good template too, or use the one it shipped with and adjust it as needed.

On a side-note: we have a yearly upgrade training with our local reseller as part of our subscription and sometimes I meet people there who are trying to do 2D CAD in ArchiCAD and I just don't understand why you would throw away all the benefits of having a 3D model in favour of sticking what you are comfortable with.
Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
Learn and get certified!