BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Vista 64?

Anonymous
Not applicable
I tried xp 64 some time ago and gave up on it.
I am ready to revisit a 64 bit OS for the chance to enable more memory usage for archicad. I would appreciate any input from the community regarding this question.

windoze xp pro sp3
2 opterons, about 2.9 gig ram (going to add 2 gig more, 10,000 rpm sata drives
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable
I have not built my 64-bit AC12 workstation yet, but I know a few facts involved with the switch to V64:

- V64 is more stable (much more) and better supported than XP64
- The 64-bit OS will allow you to multitask better while also allocating all possible memory to AC (assuming you have more than 4GB RAM)
- The 64-bit memory addressing allows for greater/faster 3D rendering and video creation capabilities

There are still some quirks, but my reading on the topic has led me to believe that V64 is the best path to take.

I can speak from experience with V64, just not V64 + AC12... yet.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks, I appreciate the input. I am going to go ahead and upgrade my ram from 4g to 8g.
I looked at vista 64 last night...I guess I am going to buy the business version.
Thanks,
Jack
henrypootel
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
Why did you give up on XP-64 previously, and after giving up, what did you change to? I found XP-64 very good when i was using it. very stable, and fast. If your problem was hardware drivers though, then Vista-64 is going to have the same problem.
From experience, Vista-64 and ArchiCAD 12 like each other very much, especially on a Quad-core. My rig(details in my signature) generates sections in ArchiCAD 12 in just over half the time it takes a Duo-2.8 to do the same thing. It's also about 10 or 15% faster than XP-64 was before I upgraded to Vista.
I would even go so far as to say that Vista-64 is the fastest Operating System to run ArchiCAD 12 on right now. Although I will probably get burned alive for saying so.
Josh Osborne - Central Innovation

HP Zbook Studio G4 - Windows 10 Pro, Intel i7 7820HQ, 32Gb RAM, Quadro M1200
Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm a little hazy on why I gave up on xp64. I do remember I had the computer set for a dual boot xp32 or xp64. As best I recall, I was having trouble finding drivers & etc. for xp64. I think I'll cross my fingers back up my c drive with all it's 32 bit applications and do a clean install of vista64, reinstall all the applications, and hope I don't run in to too many headaches with Vista64. Does any one have any suggestions as to which version of Vista 64 to go with? Home Premium, Business, or Ultimate?
henrypootel
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
go for Business. it's the equivalent of XP-Pro, and doesn't have the useless Ultimate Extras' that you don't want.
Josh Osborne - Central Innovation

HP Zbook Studio G4 - Windows 10 Pro, Intel i7 7820HQ, 32Gb RAM, Quadro M1200
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks a lot I think I'll get Business then
Learn and get certified!