BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Warning! Cannot save Plan file.

Anonymous
Not applicable
For some reason I occasionally get this error while saving.

Cannot save Plan file.

It strange because sometimes I can save and then sometimes I can't.
20 REPLIES 20
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Katalin,

Thanks a lot to your message.
It's very strange ! All windows in the finder are closed.
We saved the Archicad document on the desktop (note that the whole home directory of this user is hosted on a cifs share).
Frequently, when we are saving the plan, we get the alert message.
But, sometime, the document are saved.
Now we want to test it with a Macintosh workstation with Mountain Lion OS.
I willgive you a feedback in this topic.
Thanks a lot to your help and support
Regards
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Katalin,

With Mountain Lion (10.8.2), Archicad 15 and 16 seems work as a charm.
This a good news !
We are exactly in the same lab condition.
Workstation binded in an Active Directory and home user hosted on a NAS !
Perhaps a problem with the smb protocol on Lion ?!
Thanks for your feedback
Regards
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Katalin,

Just a little remark ! We have open a lot of finder's windows ...
No problem occurs !
Regards
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Katalin,

Sorry ... but the problem is still present.
I have make a mistake when I bind the workstation on the AD (I left checked the button "Force the use of local home directory on the startup disk" in the directory utility").
We have the same problem with Archicad 15 and 16.
Thanks for your support.
Have a nice evening
Regards
Katalin Takacs
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Thank you for the response, Patrick.
For further investigation I'm forwarding this issue to our Support Team.

We will contact you soon.
Regards,
Katalin Takacs
Anonymous
Not applicable
I have been having this problem for several weeks running Archicad 15 on Mac Os 10.7 and then 10.8. I can not see a pattern as to when the file save error occurs.

However, there does seam to be some associated problems (refer to the attached screenshot), ie:
- multiple temporary files
- locked files (even though the files are not open and AC was closed correctly)

Sometimes the file disappears altogether making me think it might be an OS problem? This usually resolves after a restart.
Screen Shot 2012-12-10 at 12.13.43 AM.jpg
Anonymous
Not applicable
Never had this problem before AC15 which I have been using for the last year. I have also had this problem in AC16. I have been ignoring the problem for all this time due to the fact that I have been able to "Save As" and not loose anything. Because this problem has been SO persistent I've decided to post and seek a resolution.

I've tried closing all Finder windows and the library reload without any success. The post previous to mine mentions the existence of temporary files and I have seen this EVERY TIME!!! I'm not sure if the problem is being caused as a result of a lock file not cooperating but I think a year of dealing with this and on 2 versions of software now makes it clear that this is and ArchiCAD problem. Restarting the computer does allow me to clean up the temp & lock files but it's only a matter of time before the problem shows up again.

I'm on a standalone 2011 17" Macbook Pro with a 2.5 i7 processor running on 8GB RAM and Mountain Lion 10.8.2 - I sure would like to know what's going on and thank you in advance for your help!

ANOTHER THOUGHT:
In addition to the new ArchiCAD software I was asked to move from my WIBU key to the newer CodeMeter Key. Of course it came with its own software and install process and acts much different than the former key. The primary difference is that my computer treats it like a hard drive and tells me that it has been ejected improperly every time I pull it out.

Any help with this issue would be much appreciated . . . .
Anonymous
Not applicable
Running AC16, fully hot fixed, on Mac OSX 10.8.2. Files are on the windows server. Very often AC16 doesn't save, sometimes even doesn't "save as", but it didn't save also in my local hard drive a couple of time. Luckily the command "save as" in the local drive always worked.
I have to say that I have administrator privileges on the server, and that every other software I use work seamless. I'm desperately waiting for a fix.
Thank you for your support
Csaba Kezer
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
Dear Talkers,

There are two different issues what we know of and can cause the save error:

1. If the problem is present on the local computer the issue is most likely due to some sort of permission problem. This is possible even if the user has Administrator rights on the machine. We have information about many cases when users changed their Work Environment from one OSX system to another and used one of the following tools:
- Time machine back up
- Migrating Assistant
So if there is any chance that you used one of these tools that could change something in your user account permissions and cause this error even though you seem to have Administrator rights.

To check if this is the issue try the following:
- Move a file to your desktop, open it from there and see if the saving error still happens
- If so, try to create a new user account on your machine, that should solve the issue

2. When saving is not working on a Windows server from a MAC machine try to do the following:
- close all Finder windows
- try to save anywhere else but to the desktop of the server

If you can save this way then it is a known bug. We think this is not ArchiCAD's fault but it is not present with other software. We think it's more like an issue with the interaction between the Apple OS and the Windows Server. Unfortunately as long as we can't reproduce this issue in house we are unable to report it to Apple or Microsoft.

Best regards,
Csaba Kézér
Director, Global Customer Support
Graphisoft
Porter Fuqua
Participant
I was having the same problem about not being able to Save on the Windows server shared directory. I could "Save As" but I was not allowed to simply Save.

It was in fact a permissions error, and once I changed the sharing permissions on the server my problems went away.

I can't remember what exactly it was but I think that the server was granting me read and write access but I didn't have "full control".

So go over to your Windows server and make sure that you are allowing all the permissions for the directory that you are having problems with.

Regards,

Porter
iMac - 2.93GHz Core i7, 4GB, OSX 10.6.7
ArchiCAD 15
Learn and get certified!