BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

What is the best machine for AC 12.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Everyone,

Could someone pls tell me if my machine is going to be good enough for 12.

Mac Pro
Processor 2x2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon
How important is this processor for AC 12?

10 GB 800MHz DDR@ FB-DIMM
How does the ram play a roll and is it enough?

256MB ATI Radeon HD 2600
Is this good enough?

My main gaol with this Mac is for rendering, what do i need to create faster renders on archiCAD 11 & 12.

Thanks
9 REPLIES 9
Chazz
Enthusiast
Cross-posting is discouraged around here. Please refrain from doing it.

Sounds to me that the main way to gain speed in AC 12 is with cores, so an 8 core machine is a great place to start. On the Mac, you pay a lot for higher speed processors (US $1600 up-charge for the 3.2 Ghz processors is steep). I would stick with the 2.8 and spend the difference on RAM and maybe a 512 MB video card. Also, consider buying from the Apple online refurbed store,. It's a good deal and I've never had a problem.

Or are you talking about a machine that you already own? If it's what you got, then run with it. Most people on this list are using far slower machines.
Nattering nabob of negativism
2023 MBP M2 Max 32GM. MaxOS-Current
Karl Ottenstein
I've deleted the duplicate post in the other thread.
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Chazz
Enthusiast
Karl wrote:
And my brilliant (flippant) response to it....
Chazz
Enthusiast
Karl wrote:
And in so doing you just halved the poor guys Post count.....

My reply in the other post addressing his interest in speed while doing renders pointed about that Artlantis may be the fastest way to go from model to render. I just got a copy and have been (mostly) loving it.
Anonymous
Not applicable
The best machine? Take a look at Karl Ottenstein's signature!
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi to all,

My apologies for the cross posting.
I already own the machine I mentioned above.

From reading the replies I understand that it is a pretty sufficient machine.
So what can I do Speed up my rendering processes.

Thx

Stuart
Chazz
Enthusiast
Stuart21 wrote:
So what can I do Speed up my rendering processes?
Like I said before, the fastest way to render in ArchiCAD is to not use ArchiCAD and render in Artlantis instead. Yes, more RAM will help (as does not using your machine for other things during the rendering process). As has been pointed out elsewhere on this forum, other tools can kick out Tiffs faster than Artlantis but nothing for design pros (as opposed to professional animators) seems close in terms of time to: learn the tool, dress & light & understand the scene, hit render and get a compelling result.

Lightworks is great n'all (particularly after reading Dwight's book or better, attending his workshop) but unless you are pretty expert, figuring out what works in a scene and what doesn't can mean a lot of waiting around. Artlantis delivers on its promise, in its quirky way, of showing you what the scene is going to look like, in real time, before you hit the render button and go off to lunch (or to bed). It is also fairly cheap.

Maybe Mr. (or Ms.) Stuart21 of Capetown (land-o-my parents), you should invest a few more words here on what kind of rendering you are wanting to do before others offer guesses as to what may help.
Anonymous
Not applicable
kliment wrote:
Bte best machine? Take a look at Karl Ottenstein's signature!
...and Dwight's and mine. It's a hot machine.

Asking if it's good enough seems a bit like showing up at club races in a Ferrari and wondering if it is competitive (of course it depends on the driver 😉 ).
Dwight
Newcomer
Matthew wrote:
kliment wrote:
Bte best machine? Take a look at Karl Ottenstein's signature!
...and Dwight's and mine. It's a hot machine.

Asking if it's good enough seems a bit like showing up at club races in a Ferrari and wondering if it is competitive (of course it depends on the driver 😉 ).
Hot until next month. The speed limit is still the duffus at the keyboard.
Dwight Atkinson
Learn and get certified!