BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.
SOLVED!

What versions of Archicad do run on Apple M2 chip

OBRA BRUSSELS
Visitor

Hello,

I recently bought a Macbook Air M2 (8 cores, 16GB RAM, OS Ventura 13.1) What versions of Archicad do run on this Apple M2 chip? I still am on a AC17 license and I should upgrade to a newer version.

Thanks for your feedback.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution

They're both M series, so no - AC26 Apple Silicon (another way of saying M1, M2) version should run fine both on M1 (pro, max, etc) and M2. I am using AC25 on my M1 Pro, and it works quite well for my projects (detailed single family homes). As Karl mentioned, AC17 might not run that well on a M2 device, especially due to the newer macOS version.

The earlier versions of apple silicon version lacked a big feature that prevented me from trying it out - no support for 3dconnexion devices. However I'm not sure if this is fixed now with the current release. As in all things software, the newest version is not always the best functioning one for a stable workflow.

AC26 ARM // MBP M2 Max // Twinmotion | Corona | Rhino

www.senoglu.dk

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Emre Senoglu
Expert

Only AC26 has a version running natively on M chips.

https://Graphisoft.com/solutions/Archicad/Archicad-26

www.senoglu.dk

Karl Ottenstein

Versions 25 and earlier (to the extent compatible with Ventura) will run in Rosetta 2 emulation mode on Apple ARM chips with  macOS Ventura, but see this article for compatibility issues:

https://community.graphisoft.com/t5/Setup-License-articles/macOS-13-Ventura/ta-p/359447

I would imagine 17 is pushing it... but it doesn't hurt to install it and see if it works. If it doesn't just uninstall.  Either way, please post back to this thread to let others know.

One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
OBRA BRUSSELS
Visitor

Thank you Emre and Karl for your replies.

I will see if I manage to get AC17 running, would surprise me to be honest. First hurdle is to get it installed, on the download page of Graphisoft AC17 is not available, I tried to simply copy the AC17 folder, but it won't boot like this (no surprise). Is there a place where I can find the installer?

Hi Emre, do you know if there is a difference between M1 and M2 chip, as if AC26 does not run on M2 chip as where it does on M1?

Actually, AC17 does not run on OSX from High Sierra (10.13) onwards. So it is not compatible with Ventura. If I understand you well, this means it will not work under Rosetta? I was not able to try yet, since I don't find the installer (it is not in the list of the legacy installers on the GS site)

Solution

They're both M series, so no - AC26 Apple Silicon (another way of saying M1, M2) version should run fine both on M1 (pro, max, etc) and M2. I am using AC25 on my M1 Pro, and it works quite well for my projects (detailed single family homes). As Karl mentioned, AC17 might not run that well on a M2 device, especially due to the newer macOS version.

The earlier versions of apple silicon version lacked a big feature that prevented me from trying it out - no support for 3dconnexion devices. However I'm not sure if this is fixed now with the current release. As in all things software, the newest version is not always the best functioning one for a stable workflow.

www.senoglu.dk

Learn and get certified!