Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Why is Maxon Cinema 4D being installed

Cleaning out my hard drive I noticed FOUR versions of Cinema 4D installed totaling 4.5 GB or so of data. Why is this being installed without asking us in the Install Wizard? If we wanted it, we'd install it. Please correct this in the installer so it doesn't install automatically.

And for further clarification, it IS NOT a licensed copy, but one that requires us to buy a license. So it's basically marketing at our hard drive's expense.

Rex Maximilian, Honolulu, USA - www.rexmaximilian.com
ArchiCAD 27 (user since 3.4, 1991)
16" MacBook Pro; M1 Max (2021), 32GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, 32-Core GPU
Apple Vision Pro w/ BIMx
Creator of the Maximilian ArchiCAD Template System
5 REPLIES 5
Karl Ottenstein

Hi Rex,

There is a tiny Cinema bundle and add-on for each installed version of ARCHICAD.  The full version of Cinema 4D has nothing to do with Graphisoft / ARCHICAD... Perhaps you had a version once and it is updating itself and keeping old versions?  If you have 4.5 GB - it has nothing to do with the ARCHICAD installation and was not installed by Graphisoft.

Hope you're well!

Karl

One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB

Hi Karl, I'm almost positive it's being installed by the Graphisoft installer. And it's not a small bundle or anything, but the full blown software installed in the Applications folder. I just got a new MacBook Pro and installed Archicad right off the bat, and lo and behold, Cinema 4D was there afterward. On my older iMac, I had four versions of Archicad installed (22-25) and there were four versions of Cinema 4D installed also.

Plus, and here's the smoking gun: Nemetschek owns both Graphisoft and Maxon; soooo...

If it's the case, it'd be really nice if they disabled the auto-install of a 1GB software and made it an option instead.

Doing great btw! Hope you're well too.

Apple Vision Pro w/ BIMx

Oh, the 4.5 GB was four versions of Cinema 4D summed up into a total data size on my iMac. The one on my MBP, which was only the latest version, was around 1 GB.

Apple Vision Pro w/ BIMx

I am Window and not Mac, but I would assume the installer would install the same files.

I have the last 11 versions of Archicad installed and not one Cinema 4D program anywhere.

Just the default Cinerender (Cineware) add-on that comes with Archicad and is in the Archicad application folder.

When you install Archicad, it will ask if you want a typical or custom install.

Choose custom and you can specify what you do or don't want to install.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

I'm doing the "Typical" install (which I've done for, I guess 31 years, LOL)! You would think that it wouldn't throw in another app without asking. Maybe I'll try launching the installer and choosing Custom just to see if it's a default checked item; without installing, but just to see.

I can't imagine how else it gets installed. I mean, both companies (Graphisoft and Maxon) are Nemetschek companies, so it stands to reason there is the connection. The only other software that I've had four versions of on my iMac and the latest only on my MacBook Pro is Twinmotion. I don't see that one loading Cinema 4D. Can someone from Graphisoft comment on this?

Apple Vision Pro w/ BIMx