BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

WindowBuilder Problem

KeesW
Advocate
I first raised this problem several weeks ago but got no response. Maybe I put it in the wrong section. Lets try it again.

I have the very latest (ie for AC9) Theometric Door and WindowBuilder and WindowBuilder is giving us a lot of grief - in fact, it has become unuseable.

Selecting the Window icon in the Toolbox gives the following error:
"Warning
Incompatible types in expression at line 13 of file WindowBuilder 35.gsm.
Stop Continue"

Selecting 'continue' generates the following message in the Preview + Positioning box:
"Invalid 2D symbol. Open the library part for editing and check its 2D script for errors."

We can't get into the library part to check the script.

We are unable to open existing projects, created with earlier WindowBuilder versions, without errors similar to the above.

Am I the only person in the known universe with this problem?

DoorBuilder works fine.

Any ideas out there?

KeesW
Archicad 9, XP Pro, 3.0P4, 1GB RAM
Cornelis (Kees) Wegman

cornelis wegman architects
AC 5 - 26 Dell XPS 8940 Win 10 16GB 1TB SSD 2TB HD RTX 3070 GPU
Laptop: AC 24 - 26 Win 10 16GB 1TB SSD RTX 3070 GPU
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable
KeesW,

Don't know if this will help or not. I am using Door&Window Builder 3.5 with 9.0 and have not experienced any problems yet. However the project was started in 9.0 from scratch. Similar to any add-on I have, If I start a project with a version of archicad I continue with it using that version. So any project started with Door&Window Builder 2.0 or 3.5 I stay with that version throughout the project. You would think everything would be forward compatible but I have found its more productive to stay with the version initially used to input the project. Thus I am able to move forward with a project rather than trying to figure out what needs to be modified to make the program work correctly. Hope this helps.

Jim
KeesW
Advocate
You would be right if existing versions worked well with Archicad 9. I was led to believe that they don't and therefore upgraded. Neverheless, it is vital fo upgrades to work with older projects and it is disappointing that WindowBuilder doesn't. My new WindowBuilder (release 12) won't even work with AC9!

Kees
Cornelis (Kees) Wegman

Anonymous
Not applicable
I guess I will not be upgrading my window and door builder, going to stick with 3.5 since it seems to be working ok at this point. I am starting to think these 3rd party add-ons and libraries are sometimes just a one generation investment. I am having problems with getting my version of ArchiForma up and running in 9.0 do to a problem with my serial number and dongle number cross referencing in Cigraphy registration database, it seems someone elses dongle as registered my serial number so I can not upgrade MY version of ArchiForma which I purchased for 169.00 bones about a year ago . Oh what the hell its only a weeks worth of groceries for my 3 young boys.

Jim
as posted previously, the current build of DWB is r13 (r14 rumoured to be on the way). AC9 issues with r12 went away with r13 (at least in my case). I don't think this is a one generation investment at all. there are compatibility tools for upgrading older versions of this product that have eased the pain of upgrading ArchiCAD.

Talk to a homebuilder or anyone who maintains stock plans about ArchiCAD object naming conventions and upgrading their core assets from ArchiCAD version to ArchiCAD version.

I have a client who is using window parts created for version 4.55. The leap to 8.1 or or 9 is so vast that we're at loggerheads about developing production methodologies in line with the new versions.

The other argument in favour of the DWB approach is consistency of parameters and interface. AC doors and windows are not at all consistent from window to window, door to door. This makes standardization very difficult. I was initially drawn to DWB by the one door/one window approach. The product has matured both in terms of the parametrics, but also the ways and means of managing different window configurations and types.

I've decided to hang in and hang on to DWB. Having had a peek at some of the other things CADImage are doing recently, I expect the useablility of their objects (including the Theometric ones) to only get better.
Think Like a Spec Writer
AC4.55 through 27 / USA AC27-4060 USA
Rhino 8 Mac
MacOS 14.2.1
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks, Aaron for the information. I guess I better keep my mouth shut. Just a little frustrated with Cigraphy which I should not carry over to other add-ons or libraries.

- Jim
KeesW
Advocate
Aaron
I got the latest build less than 2 weeks ago - R12! I know nothing about R13.

What gives???

I've had many years of satisfactory service from Theometric and want to stay with this product. Maybe Cadimage should come out of its bombshelter and confide in its users.

Kees
Cornelis (Kees) Wegman

CADImage came out on all of this a couple of weeks ago and posted a press release on several threads. see this one for some explanation.

http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=4902
Think Like a Spec Writer
AC4.55 through 27 / USA AC27-4060 USA
Rhino 8 Mac
MacOS 14.2.1
KeesW
Advocate
CadImage kindly sent me Door&Window Builder release 14! I'll let you know how it works.

Kees
Cornelis (Kees) Wegman

Stephen Dolbee
Booster
KeesW wrote:
CadImage kindly sent me Door&Window Builder release 14! I'll let you know how it works.

Kees
When I log on to their site, it shows only r13 available for download. How did you get r14?

Steve
AC19(9001), 27" iMac i7, 12 gb ram, ATI Radeon HD 4850 512mb, OS 10.12.6
Learn and get certified!