Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

clean install of v19 and migration from earlier versions

Anonymous
Not applicable
I've been an ArchiCAD user since v6.5. Over the span of new version releases, I have set up my own master template, which incorporates everything I've tweaked over the years...from my Work Environment, to pens, lines, layouts, composites, palettes, and on and on. Invariably, there are new features that are not incorporated if i simply import my template. Typically, I have to spend a couple of hours or more going through all of the new features and adding them into my Work Environment and overwriting my template. Just wondering...does anyone have a quicker method? I'd almost like to perform a clean install and set it up from scratch, but that seems such a daunting task!
2 REPLIES 2
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
I don't see how the work environment ties in to the layers and pens etc from a template. Maybe I'm missing something obvious, or maybe it's just a matter of how you phrase things and how interpret.

That said...

In terms of template, we update it with every mayor attribute changing release. Recently we had to do two: 17 with building materials and 18 with cinerender surfaces. But before that we've been using our ArchiCAD 13 template comfortably for 14, 15 and 16. I think we'll be good with our 18 template for 19.

We have a fairly solid standard template with every release in the Netherlands, actually. Not sure about US release, but if it is decent, you could also try modifying that to your likes.

Work environment I ussually just recreate from scratch. I have two screens on my system. I put the old archicad work environment in the one screen and the new archicad in the other and just recreate the layout of things. That way I will not miss out on new commands in the toolbars and menus. The only thing I can allways safely import are my keybindings.
Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks Erwin. Sorry for the confusion. Yes, pens, layers, etc. have nothing to do with the Work Environment. I was only describing that those elements are also a pert of my master template.

I can work from my second screen as you describe to set up a new Work Environment. I just didn't know if there was a quicker method, and apparently there is not. It can be a little time consuming and I was just looking for a quicker solution, if one exists.

Thanks again!!