Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

conversion between archicad 14 and start 2012

Anonymous
Not applicable
so, a few weeks ago my computer was stolen with my archicad key. I'd been running 14 happily, and while I had everything backed up, I was still using the pre-paid hourly code meter setup, so there wasn't an easy replacement.

Graphisoft has shipped me Star(t) 2012, and after installation I now find I can't open any of my AC14 files. is there any existing conversion possible? I'll never need to revert the files back to 14, so can sacrifice that potential.

I'm pretty desperate to get back to work...
thanks for all suggestions.
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable
Can't you get a new prepaid hourly key for AC16? (I assume you didn't have insurance and can't afford a full license at the moment.) I don't quite understand the start edition part. Did you buy it? If its your preference to stick with that perhaps GS can convert the files for you. It does strike me as a bit odd and unnecessarily strict not to allow conversions between the two.
Karl Ottenstein
Ouch; so sorry to hear about your loss and frustration. Interesting that they sent you Start 2012 instead of the latest edition, Start 2013... but unfortunately, opening your old 14 files looks really problematic. 😞

See the tables in this Wiki article:
http://archicadwiki.com/StartEdition

According to the info there, no version of Start Edition can open any professional projects other than AC 8.1 or 9. 😞 And nothing can save in Start format other than Start Edition itself - which can only save to the same version of Start. So I don't see a conversion option at all.

It doesn't look you have any optionto continue your AC 14 work other than getting another AC 14 or higher professional license... My reseller doesn't show the PPU (pay per use) key on his web site anymore, which is what it sounds like you had. I thought I had read that PPU was being discontinued.

The only option I see there that is cheaper than buying a license is a monthly rental option, which is more expensive and less flexible than the PPU.

😞
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
the PPU has been discontinued, so my choices were the monthly rental, full license, or start - and given the pricing, start was about all I could swing. I'm still waiting to hear back from insurance, as with the PPU key it's was a much lower price...
(on a side note, the absence of that option almost made me go looking for something else - it was perfect for my small business setup!)

anyway, our current idea is to do a 30 day trial of AC16, get all the projects as far along as possible, then export them as DWG files and bring them into Start that way. I'll lose a lot of info, but hopefully not have to start anything over from scratch.

so, any advice on the best practices for exporting DWG? (I realize I should go look elsewhere in the forum...)