BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

copy and paste in version 22

Anonymous
Not applicable
Why do I no longer have the option to Paste elements into a version 22 ArchiCAD drawing under the ArchiCAD layer after I copy them from an older file?
Why does it automatically import the layers from the older file now?

I'm on a MAC if that is relevant.
7 REPLIES 7
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
I can reproduce this in ARCHICAD 22.
I select various elements in AC21, copy them to the Clipboard, then paste them into AC22.
Then I paste them to AC22, and select the "Add elements to ARCHICAD Layer" option.
For me the issue is that some elements are indeed added to the ARCHICAD layer, but some elements are still added to their original Layer, if the Layer does not exist it is even created.
So it is working inconsistently for me.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Daniel Kovacs
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hello,

I have tried copying elements from one ARCHICAD to another (from 21 to 21, 21 to 22, 22 to 22), and it all works the same for me: the new layers get created, and I won't get a dialog asking if I want to create the new layers or not. I think this is how it always worked....

Can you elaborate on what it is exactly that is happening to you? The best would be if you could attach a video about how it works now, and how it used to work. If that is not possible, then some pictures and a step-by-step would be great.

Thanks,
Daniel Alexander Kovacs

Professional Services Consultant

GRAPHISOFT

For Troubleshooting and useful Tips & Tricks visit
Anonymous
Not applicable
When pasting objects that are hidden (or locked) from 20 to 21 I get the following dialog:

"Some elements are locked or hidden and cannot be simply added to the project.

You can choose one of the following options:

*. Add elements to the ArchiCAD layer
*. Create New layers for the elements
*. Show and unlock related layers
*. skip elements of ..... locked layers
...... hidden layers"

This option has disappeared when pasting to 22
Daniel Kovacs
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hello,

Thanks, that's the step I missed, if the layers are hidden it indeed gives me that dialog. I have done some more tests between the versions (21to22, 21to21, 22to22), and it seems to be working absolutely consistently for me:
- When the pasted element is supposed to be on a layer that is hidden, then you get this dialog, and the element will be placed where you choose (eg. the ARCHICAD Layer).
- When a pasted element is on a layer that doesn't exist in the file, then it will be created as a new layer no matter what (you don't get a dialog at all). If you get a dialog because of other elements, these elements will still create their own layers.

Is it possible that in your 21 file you used different layers than in the 22 layer, so you don't get a dialog, because all the layers are new?
I am working with the 40xx preview update at the moment. can you try to install that and see if it helps?

Regards,
Daniel Alexander Kovacs

Professional Services Consultant

GRAPHISOFT

For Troubleshooting and useful Tips & Tricks visit
Anonymous
Not applicable
Why is not possible to copy from newer to older versions? Even only 2D elements are forbidden.
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Because elements in the newer version are in a file format the earlier version does not recognize.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you Laszlo
Learn and get certified!