BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

frequent crashes with AC24 iMac

Anonymous
Not applicable
hi,

i am wondering anyone else experiencing absurd amount of crashes with archicad 24?

since the beginning of archicad 24 release, i've been experiencing frequent crashes. recently, it is crashing at least 5-6 time a day.

when it's bad day, like today, it crashes 20 odd times in the span of 2 hours.

our local (NZ) distributer has been really a great help, but this is really impacting my business.
new update (3022) didn't not change my situation.

cherry on top, crash report has network error which does not upload crash report automatically. then i have to upload manually to my local distributer.

any other case like mine?

i am using iMac (2017)
3.4 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5
32 GB 2400 MHz DDR4
Radeon Pro 570 4 GB
22 REPLIES 22
Hello han seol,

What is your OS ?
- 10.13 High Sierra
- 10.14 Mojave
- 10.15 Catalina
or
- 11 (Beta) Big Sur ?
Christophe - FRANCE
Archicad Designer and Teacher
Archicad 15 to 27 FRA FULL

OS 11.6 Big Sur - MacBook Pro 2017 - 16Go RAM
"Quality is never an accident ; it's always the result of an intelligent effort" John Ruskin
Anonymous
Not applicable
hi christophe,
i am using 10.15 catalina at the moment.

crashes seem to have no apparent patterns that i can discern so far. sometimes randomly crashes at a background. etc.
Eduardo Rolon
There is a known bug with AMD Radeon graphic cards that makes AC crash. GS says it is on Apple's end and cannot do anything until Apple fixes it. A restart might "clean up" the memory problem but it might be wishful thinking.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hello Han Seol,

Thank you for sharing the issue and I am very sorry about the experience!

Unfortunately, as ejrolon mentioned, there is a driver issue with Apple machines using AMD graphics card on Catalina and some on Mojave. We reported this issue to Apple, and hope that they will react soon!

We are developing a workaround that will be available in the second update of Archicad 24. In the meantime, I recommend not to leave Archicad idle in the background or leave it open and putting the computer to sleep.

I am very sorry for the inconvenience! If you have any further questions, feel free to ask me again!

Best regards,
Minh

Minh Nguyen
Technical Support Engineer
GRAPHISOFT

Anonymous
Not applicable
hi mnguyen and ejrolon,

thank you for the reply. i assumed it must have been something to do with a system as nothing really had a distinct pattern.

do we have any indication on a fix / work around anytime soon in foreseeable future?
Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hi,

We are still waiting for Apple's response to this issue. The workaround will be available in the second update of Archicad 24. I hope that it will be available around November.

Thank you very much for your understanding!

Best regards,
Minh

Minh Nguyen
GRAPHISOFT

fabioferrini
Enthusiast
Hi everyone,
some issue here on two iMac 5K, MacOS catalina 10.15.7
4 GHz Intel Core i7 quad-core
AMD Radeon R9 M295X 4 GB.

Yesterday we had about 10 crashes

AC 24 works very fine on Mojave, very stable and no crash at all.
We had update a couple of day ago to Catalina and now AC24 seems working very slow too in 3D e 2D mode

Fabio
zofa groningen
Contributor
Here also very frequent crashes. Very often during waking up after idle.
iMac 2020 5K MacOS 10.15.7, 3.6 Ghz 10 Core i9, 64 GB, 16 GB Radeon 5700XT
Hans Overdiep • AC 10 - 27 • MacOS 14.3 • IMac 2020 10 Core i9 • 64 GB • 16 GB Radeon Pro 5700 XT
Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Dear all,

I would like to share an article we made recently to address these random crashes in macOS 10.15:
https://helpcenter.graphisoft.com/knowledgebase/133933/

The workaround demonstrated in this article is available from Archicad 23 Update 3 and Archicad 24 Update 2. Please let me know if it helps with the issue!
Thank you very much for your understanding and I am very sorry about the inconvenience!

Best regards,
Minh

Minh Nguyen
GRAPHISOFT

Learn and get certified!